Thursday 16 November 2023

16/11/23 - Manchester Tap to Tap, via Gullivers and Bar Fringe

 Every City should have one


I didn't necessarily need it but I was always going to buy it.


With both kids having attended Manchester Universities, I have had a decade of travelling up the M6. It will be a great road when it is finished. Human deliveries and collections have always involved overnight stops. There's a room in Deansgate Premier Inn that could be renamed the Mappiman Suite.  

The classic boozers have been ticked. Often many times. Still, I'm always open to new suggestions and to supplement my ever increasing "Want To Go" list in Google Maps, I now have this guide to 200 must visit pubs, bars and tap rooms.

It's beautiful looking inside - like all the Camra Books - and I'm particularly looking forward to using some of the pub crawls beer trails recommended in the suburbs. The book will come into its own when I go "Up the A6", around Chorlton, Salford, Bolton and Rochdale.

Today, a quick test as I make my way from Piccadilly to Victoria, to catch my train connection.

I'm using the guide to visit previously unexplored places.

Piccadilly Tap, Station Approach

This has been dipping in and out of the Good Beer Guide since I started ticking. It's back in the 2024 edition, so I avoid my natural instinct to keep moving when in Piccadilly.

Piccadilly Tap, Manchester
View from the outdoor terrace of the Picadilly Tap

Matthew says - "An ideal starting (or stopping) point to a day on the beers in Central Manchester".

Very much a "train bar", where you can instantly feel the transient nature of the punters. This is no ones local. A massive beer board takes a while to digest and over the course of this long weekend in various bars of the North, I never seem to get past #1 on the list.

This time a Rothaus Pils, rather disappointingly served in a standard, non branded pint glass.

Heading upstairs to the balcony was a good shout. A fine place to act like Bacchus and watch the chaos of mere mortals during rush hour below.

I'm still not sure what next door are selling.
    
Piccadilly Tap, Manchester

Gullivers, Oldham Street

Gullivers, Manchester
Either the bar, my table, or myself was on the wonk.  Probably me.

Matthew says - "One of the more characterful establishments in the JW Lees estate".

No issues with an overwhelming beer list here. It's bitter all the way.

I'm always making a bee-line for the Castle Hotel opposite when in Oldham Street - mainly for the jukebox and the chance to make new friends at the always packed bar. 

I'm sure someone in the Castle told me this was owned by the same people. Certainly has the same vibe - a traditional pub, with a NQ crowd that also has regular live music. I'm in town this weekend for live music - BC Camplight at the Albert Hall. I really should have stayed till Saturday, as impossibly, Freya Beer is playing at the Castle. Surely too big an artist to still have tickets left at a 90 person capacity venue.

Back to Gullivers - certainly quieter than the Castle, and I would be tempted to return, if I really fancied a nice sit down.

Bar Fringe, Swan Street

Matthew Says - "Bar Fringe combines a touch of continental Belgium with some typical Manchester swagger"

This is a real find and one I will be coming back to frequently. Matthew cannot take the recommendation credit, as one of my favourite friends in the Twitterverse, Deltrems, had already raised awareness.

In fact, back in August, I dragged my wife, daughter and potential son-in-law in. They proclaimed it a "bit stinky" and didn't want to stop. To be fair, it was absolutely packed but the lack of support from the son-in-law highlighted a need to reconsider the dowry.

Today, I am flying solo and no-one can hold me back. 

Bar Fringe, Manchester
Much more crowded on my last visit

I failed to notice any beer board or menus, and on blogging and re-reading the guide, I cannot help but think I missed out on sampling something far more exotic.

I mainly looked to the fridge and in a panic to order, asked for a bottle of Delirium Tremens.

The bar-lady, who sounded exactly how I imagine Shaun Ryder's mom to sound, said "would I prefer it on draught?".  Both red and and blue versions available.

I'm unsure what possessed me to ask what measures they serve it in but when she said "Whatever size you like love", I shouldn't have said "pint".

God damn my lizard brain.  A) I have still got to use Google Maps to find Victoria Station and B) I'm surprised I haven't had to explain the £12.40 transaction on our joint account.

I'd like to say I won't make that "mistake" again. But I will.

This could be my new Manchester "local". Just don't tell all my other Manchester "locals".

Victoria Tap, Station Approach

Victoria Tap, Manchester
Sister pub to the Piccadilly Tap - some nice symmetry to my crawl

Matthew Says - "Announced as far back as 2020, its taken a long time to come to fruition"

Hats off to the guide for being so up-to-date. Both this and Westward Ho! make the guide, despite possibly not being actually open when going to press.

This is a tiny bar, although on my next visit, I will take the guide's advice and explore the beer garden.

You can see the board but they do improve on the experience in their sister pub.

Victoria Tap, Manchester
Schneider's Helles in ceremonial chalice 

I can offer some additional advice - a warning.  Although trains run till at least midnight, this places shuts at 11pm. Bang on 11pm.  Just like they used to in London.

A fine start to a new ticklist..... 4 down, 196-ish to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment