Sunday 12 November 2023

12/11/23 - The White Hart, Hartlebury

 The Wheel of Fortune leads to the familiar


New book klaxon.

Hidden Places of Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire
Charity Find in Evesham

The guidebook tantalises with its promise of day trips to the counties it covers, detailing a variety of entertainment options. While pubs are a mainstay, there are also restaurants and National Trust properties, complete with cake selling cafes. Everything you need for a fine day out.

I decide to embrace the element of surprise and let chance guide me. Throwing caution to the wind and using randomness to choose my destination. An on-line random number generator is chosen, the book's page numbers programmed and the wheel of fortune activated. Around and around it goes and where it stops, nobody knows. Until it lands on 107.

Hartlebury.

As the crow flies, 2 miles from where I am sat.

I vow to look at it through tourist's eyes.

A suitable walk is found that ventures near all three places mentioned;

St James Church - sandstone built and I pick the one Sunday in three when there is a service. I am unable to investigate the ancient episcopal throne and the partly Norman font.  Like all good villages, the pub adjacent.

White Hart, Hartlebury
Remembrance Day 

Hartlebury Castle - fortified by Simon De Montford in the C13th and former home to the Bishops of Worcester. Visited by Elizabeth I. Used for captured Royalists in the English Civil War. A tree lined avenue leads to the entrance, but for good photos, you need to pay the entry fee. Or lift one from the Internet.
Hartlebury Castle
Me going for a peek

Hartlebury Castle
What you'd see if you pay £13.25

My walk takes me over the back of Hartlebury Common. A place explored since childhood but my guides do deliver new knowledge. The only acid bogs in Worcestershire. Fine place for walking and despite the trees turning autumnal, the photos are largely dull.

The White Hart. My guidebook from 1995 has the details and it shows that I need to work on my game if I want to make this blog more professional.  

I don't think I will ever be able to give a rump steak baguette such descriptive justice. Or get excited at the delights of lemon brulee.

White Hart, Hartlebury
Travel writing from the 90s

It's a pub that I have used many times, so I know that I can expect Timothy Taylor Landlord in a traditional country pub. No Brew XI, Banks Mild or Bass any more.

I had heard rumours that it has been recently taken over. A skip in the car park really should have rendered the walk to the door unnecessary.

White Hart, Hartlebury
Could be worse, could be dead.  Revisit required after the grand reopening

To the cafe at Hartlebury Castle. At least I have something else to moan about the cost of. An Americano and a tiny flapjack. 

£5.50.


Walk Details

Distance - 3 miles

Geocaches - 2

Walk Inspiration - Short Walks from Worcestershire Pubs


No comments:

Post a Comment