Saturday 2 November 2019

02/11/19 - Pub Ticking in EC3

Pubs - 3
Good Beer Guide Ticks - #430 and #431


A free afternoon after a short leg on Des De Moor's London Country Way, so I use one of his other reference guides to find entertainment near Fenchurch Street.   The Camra Guide to London's best pubs and bars cab be combined with the more regularly consulted Good Beer Guide to find the more interesting places to drink on the edge of the City.

Draft House, Seething Lane, London Lush by London Brewing Company

I blame the Neon.  Outside, Rub, turns to Dub, which of course turns to Pub.

Draft House, Seething Lane
Interactive Pub Signage
Inside, its all Wort, Hops and Yeast.

London Lush at the Draft House, Seething Lane
Focus on the Pint
The bright lights distracted me from the what I should have ordered.   I failed to spot the Tankovna of unfiltered Pilsner Urquell and the sign that detailed how long it had been since it was tapped.  Fresh as a daisy, at a mere one day old.

Not that there was anything wrong with my London Lush Pale Ale but the former is not available everywhere.   I need to make notes BEFORE I come out.

Draft House, Seething Lane
Could that be the Tankovna above the bar
There's other signs.   "It don't mean, if it ain't got that wing".   The concrete roof, with mandatory exposed ducting, does little to dampen the noise of over enthusiastic table football players.

I need something more traditional - even if I will be returning for the Pilsner.

The Ship, Talbot Court, London Pride - GBG #430

More in keeping with my needs - a traditional pub swallowed up by office buildings and loomed over by the Walkie Talkie building but proudly shouting - a pub has stood here since before the Fire of London.

Ship Inn, Talbot Court
Hidden from view...
Ship Inn, Talbot Court
... but gorgeous from every angle
It's a tiny Nicholson's pub, with narrow gangways, very hard furniture and more than a hint of being a gin palace.   Only a winged back Chesterfield could improve things.

Several real ales on and I played safe with a London Pride - having seen the quality from the French tourists who ordered four before me.   When its kept this well, there's few better pints.

Well maybe ESB.

Ship Inn, Talbot Court
Trad Nicholsons
Crosse Keys, Gracechurch Street, London Pride, GBG Tick #431

Whether to Wetherspoons.  That's always the conundrum.  Do I continue to give the Mappiman Dollar to a vocal brexiteer who provides further annoyance by having banned dogs from his esablishments?   Even if he is morphing into Father Jack?

Lets say I am here for the Architecture.   As a working class lad, why wouldn't I want to drink in the marble columned opulence of HSBC's HQ?   They've had my current account for 34 years, after all.

Crosse Keyes, Gracehurst Street
Bankers HQ
Crosse Keyes, Gracehurst Street
Wow.

There's one table free.   Of course its sticky.   Of course there's dead glasses aplenty.   But how can I protect this as a solo explorer and order my drink?

There's plenty of signs saying don't leave bags unattended and a damp rucksack may not look like much of a prize but there is a £40 German Trekking umbrella sticking out the side pocket.

Then a brainwave.   I'll get down with the kids.   I'll download an app.

Yes, it meant I couldn't see the TV screens and be mightily confused by the 24 real ale possibilities but I probably would have just stared at them for 10 minutes and ordered the same London Pride that I selected from the app.

With Nachos.

Less than 10 minutes admiring the architecture and the goods were delivered.  Ok, the Pride wasn't a patch on the Ship and the Nachos were missing the Salsa but I have seen the future and I like it.

Crosse Keyes, Gracehurst Street
Full House at the JDW

No comments:

Post a Comment