Saturday 6 July 2019

06/07/19 - London Countryway - Stage 15 - Ashley Green to Kings Langley

Distance - 10 Miles
Start - Ashley Green
Finish - Kings Langley
Geocaches - 6
Pubs - The Saracens Head, Kings Langley
Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13, Stage 14


I was fully prepared to repeat the 3.5 miles from Berkhamsted Station, back onto the Countryway until I checked out Des De Moor's blog.  He caught a bus. 

Google makes it so easy - so with only a 15 minute wait between arrival at the station and the scheduled 354, I chance my arm.   There's a quick geocache to pass the time and a confusing sign on the bus stop - which I think is aimed at bus drivers, rather than passengers.

What can it mean?
Difference between a Stop and a Stand
It's bang on time and the only thing that make me almost regret my decision is the £3.70 fee.   A) that's a pound a mile and b) would get you a pint, where I come from.

Instant memories of Ashley Green from the last leg, although its not long before I pick up new paths in a South East direction.

They're not the best.

Ashley Green Paths
London Countryway needs more footfall
Although this Northern Section of the Countryway is pleasant enough walking, there's not much I can bring you in way of a story.   This section is fields and woodland and you're not going to get much out of a blog when one of those woods is called "Woodman's Wood".

Bovingdon Green has a collection of pretty cottages, a pub that I'm too early for and an abandoned Vauxhall Astra with a polite notice explaining Buckinghamshire refuge laws plastered on the windscreen.

Bovingdon Green
Bovingdon Green - view from an '05 plate Astra

Woodmans Wood
Woodman's Woods doing what its says on the tin 
Footpath Selfie
A rare London Countryway Selfie, as the paths improve
The only thing representing a story happens in Chippenham Woods and only works if you know my name is Ian.   I'm at around the 8 mile stage and decide to stop at the next available bench for my lunch.

Lunch in Chipperfield Common
Looks study enough, with a view over a pool
I sit down, start unraveling the tin foil and notice a woman is hiding behind a bush, about 10m from me.   What's she up to?   Its not geocaching, as I would be hunting.   It could be a toilet break.   Using powers honed from years of drinking outside London Pubs, I ignore this unusual activity and carry on with lunch.

She ignores me and 10 pleasant enough minutes pass until she looks over at me and starts whisper/shouting "IAN - THEY ARE COMING!".

I'm genuinely freaked and have to ask who is and more importantly, how do you know my name?

Transpires that I am sat between two hiders and Ian is the other side of me.   He's much better at hiding.

And who's coming?   The Duke of Edinburgh Kids.   These are the walk leaders, checking up on them, without their charges noticing.

On with the walk.   Out of Chippenham Common, its all fields, a crossing of the A41 and Kings Langley coming into view.

Crossing the A41
Smile - the Pub is Coming Up
Dick Bowman, whose GPX trails I am following, went straight to the Station.   Having never been to Kings Langley, I decide to check out the village first.   The virtual Geocache tells the story of a crusader knight embedding his sword in the tree in front of the Church - which can be seen to this day.   But not in Summer.   Too many leaves.

However, you possibly want to know about the pub situation.   There are two in the main street.   The Rose and Crown is packed and has a lovely looking beer garden, but contrary to the end, I head to the Saracen's Head on the promise of a better real ale selection.

Its dark, hot and I am the only punter.

Saracens Head, Kings Langley
No beer garden at the Saracens Head
The real ale selection rumour was true and the only thing wrong with my Tring Brewery Pale Ale was the daft name.

Tring - Side Pocket for a Toad
A pint of "Side Pocket for a Toad"
Tickets are booked for the next leg of the Countryway - and its a double header, involving two walks and a night in St Albans.

Mrs M has never been to one of my favourite Cities and is coming to see what the fuss is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment