Sunday 6 March 2011

Wyre Forest Eternal Triangles - Three trips

Dates Cached - 27/2/11, 5/3/11 and 6/3/11
Number of caches - 10
Distance - 6 Miles in total
First Cache

Around a month ago, an intriguing number of mystery caches appeared in the Wyre Forest.  Investigation showed that the first three in the series were traditional caches, containing the co-ordintates for the next three.

Last weekend the allure of caching in the mud was enough to convince my 16 year old daughter Eliie to come out with me.  I'm sure there was another reason, but what it was has not been revealed to me.  These were straightforward over the hawksbatch side of the forest.  Nice little walk was had and it took me to the observation platform that looks over Trimpley.  This was worth the walk on its own.

I got back and plotted the co-ords from the three.  To make it more interesting, the CO has mixed up the co-ords so you need to find all in the series to work on the next three.  It was interesting, as two out of the three were not on recognised paths on the map, so it makes you wonder whether you have made a mistake.

I headed out on the Saturday, again with Ellie (maybe she likes caching).  The walk took us around Pound Green area of the forest and an extended walk took us past some impressive but remote houses.  Ellie fancies living in one of these, but I did point out the pitfalls of what the impact of running out of milk would be.  These caches were again more or less straightforward.... I learned what a Fairie's doorway might look like and had quite a hunt for the Mossy Number E - which is a tube, buried in leaves in a Forest with a clue of "Near Tree".  Glad to have found it, as it meant I could come out for the remaining three and the bonus.

I was going to save this for the future, but having woken up this morning after a bit too much red wine last night, I didn't fancy an hours drive to the walk I had planned near Hereford.  So plotted the next three and headed out this morning.  Ellie's love affair with caching is over, so Mrs Mappiman came with me today.  Good job she did, as she is really good at hunting for stuff.  I think this is linked to her disposition of hiding my stuff around the house.  She calls it putting things away....

The caches were marked on paths, so I felt very optimistic about completing the series.  And the paths, over Earnswood Copse were excellent and new to me.  This series has really shown just how big the forest is.  I have been walking it for 8 years and here is a new area for me.

So cache G and H were easy enough, although Mrs Mappiman did question whether it was a Yew tree or not.  Cache I came interesting.  We couldn't really find anything that met the clue of Holly Tree, although there was a very wiry sapling of Holly near GZ.  I started looking in earnest and checked the logs to find out there had been loads of DNF.  It looks like the CO has replaced the cache, as there was one record of a find but we managed to find the original, as it had a clean Log Book inside it....  One for the geocaching ethics committee to see if I can have a FTF for this one!

A FTF?
Setup for a picture - had to be at the time when two bikers were zooming down the path.

I'll try and give a clue as to where this was.... if heading downhill on the path - its on the right.  There is a very thin sapling of holly and the cache is at the bottom of a tree that is just further away from the main path - just under a bit of root.  It is not covered with leaves and the top is slight sticking out.  The co-ords are bang on - but there are obviously a lot of trees!

This meant that we had the co-ords for the bonus - which was nice and easy, although we did manage to time our arrival when there were three sets of muggles in the area.

I've really enjoyed this set - the walking has been excellent, nice to have company and the mystery caches have made it that bit more enjoyable.  Thanks to johncrabbe for setting it up.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant blog! You will have to give me some tips...

    ReplyDelete