Saturday 15 April 2017

15/04/17 - Lea Valley Walk Summary

Distance - 58.75
Geocaches - 56
From - Leagrave, Bedfordshire to Limehouse, Greater London
Walk Inspiration


The Lea Valley walk was noticed when I was looking for inspiration for high mileage rambles in London.  How I love my cheap Virgin weekend rail tickets.

The first leg of this perfectly matched my requirements - heading from Cheshunt, all the way to Limehouse Basin.   Not every walk starts in Zone 8 and ends in Zone 2.

Once committed, I then headed north from Cheshunt, through Ware and walking into Hertford and ticking off a couple of CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs.

Stage 3 provided the only complexity with route finding.  The GPX downloaded from the "Walk Inspiration" links provided above is out of date.   I had a look at the official web site, whre there is some information but not enough to plan the walk.   There was a comment from a walker in 2013 who had experienced the same problems with a permissive path (marked on the OS), which is no longer permissive.  Signage on the grounds was very poor.  I left a comment, polite but suggesting the web site was no longer maintained.  I got a reply from the book author saying I needed to buy the latest version of her book, as there had been some major re-routing.  And my polite comment was removed :-)

Still, the walk was enjoyable.  I used to work in Hatfield and it was good to see a bit more of the area and to follow some previously walked paths through Brocket Hall golf club.

The final stage meant that for the first time in my life, I was rambling through Luton.  There cannot be too many people who have said that.  I find the source - nestling in the shadow of some 1960's tower block.

Always nice to walk from source of the river to its end..... even if I did complete it in a haphazard style.  Some fine towns in Hertfordshire.  Plenty of geocaches.

Walking Stages

Stage 1 - Cheshunt to Limehouse Basin, 17 Miles
Stage 2 - Cheshunt to Hertford, 13.5 Miles
Stage 3 - Hertford to Harpenden, 16.5 Miles
Stage 4 - Harpenden to Leagrave, 11 Miles

Photo Album on Flickr



Lea Valley Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment