Friday 23 September 2022

23/09/22 - Giddy Edge, High Tor, Riber Castle and the Heights of Abraham

Distance - 10 Miles

Geocaches - 5 Traditional and 6 Adventure Lab Caches

Walk Inspiration - Trail Magazine, November 2021, Walk 10

This may be the first time that a film has inspired one of my walks.  I recently re-watched Dead Man's Shoes.  The first time I watched it, I was blown away by the twist.  The last time I watched it, I thought I wonder which town it was filmed in?

The distinctive castle, which is a key location in the film, is Riber Castle.  It dominates the landscape and you can see it everywhere from Matlock, Derbyshire.  

Riber Castle
Riber Castle

And there is something else to interest the rambler in Matlock.  Giddy Edge is a 3ft narrow path that runs along a 300ft cliff face.  There is a handrail one side and a sheer drop the other.  Rambling traffic allowed in only one direction.

Giddy Edge
Don't look down from Giddy Edge

It was over in a flash and recorded for posterity on a go pro camera that turns 70 seconds of video into a 1/2 GB video. Other people have uploaded it to Youtube, with audio and drone footage - so I'll point you at something created by experts with a better sense of drama.


With the excitement out the way early, the walk turns into the probable winner of "Walk of the Year, 2022".  Constant fine views as I make my way to Riber Castle and down to the former railway line of High Peak Junction.  The return is via Cromford and the Heights of Abraham.   

Simply splendid.

High Peak Junction
Down on the Valley Floor at High Peak Junction/Cromford Canal
Derbyshire Views
Many Derbyshire Views

All it needed was a pub to round off the walk - but I am saving myself for the evening, where four Good Beer Guide Ticks await.

Blog report to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment