Saturday 31 January 2015

31/1/15 - London Loop Summary

Distance - 152 Miles
Geocaches - 126
Started - Erith, 16/11/13
Finished - Purfleet, 31/01/15



The Best Section - As expected on a journey of this magnitude, there were many highlights.  The eerie walk in dark through Pett's Wood, nearly getting a pint bought for me by my daughter after the Hatton Cross section and eating my sandwiches on a bench under Wildberforce's Oak all stand out. However, the best section had to be the unexpected chalk uplands in the Happy Valley on Stage 5.  A real surprise to be in such good walking country.

The Worst Section - Again, a few to choose from.  Not a big fan of the canals of the North Western section of the loop.  Erith had fine views as long as you were looking at the river and not the inland scrapyards but for pure misery, nothing beats the 1/2 mile down the A1 to go under a tunnel and walk 1/2 mile back up the otherside on Stage 11.

Purfleet, with its one down at heel pub, is no place for a finale.

The Stages (Click on the Hyperlink for Stage Details)

16/11/13 - Erith - Stage 1
12/12/13 - Bexley - Stage 2
18/01/14 - Pett's Wood - Stage 3
22/03/14 - Hayes - Stage 4 
12/04/14 - Upper Warlingham - Stage 5
17/05/14 - Banstead - Stage 6
07/06/14 - Kingston - Stage 7
12/07/14 - Hatton Cross - Stage 8
02/08/14 - Uxbridge - Stage 9
30/08/14 - Moor Park - Stage 10
18/10/14 - Elstree - Stage 11
15/11/14 - Cockfosters - Stage 12
03/01/15 - Chingford - Stage 13
31/01/15 - Harold Wood - Stage 14

London Loop Start
Fresh Faced and Keen - 16/11/13
Purfleet - The End
Bedraggled but triumphant - 31/01/15
Summary
After finishing the Capital Ring in September 2014, I was looking for my next challenge.  The London Loop was an obvious choice.  Further out and longer in duration, there was no chance of being able to do it over summer evenings when working in the smoke.

So, I committed to taking advantage of cheap Virgin Train tickets on the weekend (won't have a word said against them) and making a monthly pilgrimage.  Despite minor problems when the local trains weren't running because of the February 2014 storms, I stuck to my goal and finished exactly as planned in January 2015.


London Loop
15 Trips to the Smoke
On reflection at having finished, its been a blast.  Exactly as expected, wild sections of woodland and farmland, canals, satellite towns, crossing over major roadways and under busy airport skies.  Nearly always well signposted and easily accessible.

Its taken me to places I would never have considered visiting before.

Who would have thought that you could lose yourself in woodland under the roar of landing aircraft near Heathrow?

How long does the train take to get down the single track line to Banstead? - I can still hear the tannoy announcements of stations when I drop off to sleep

Why was a fine looking pub near Stanmore Woods turned into a Gentlemen's establishment for people with clean garments?  I don't know as my mud caked hiking boots ruled me out of further investigation.

I'm delighted to have achieved my goal, but as always with finishing a long term plan, there is a slight feeling of melancholy.  Still, I will can cheer myself up with a certificate.

LL
Certifiable

So what next for one weekend in every four?  Well, check out the London Countyway.  It ticks all the boxes - a third circle of London, this time even further out from the centre.  It is, however, an historical route that hasn't been publicised or maintained since the late 70s.  It will be interesting to see if it's still achievable.

London Loop
Long out of print - thank god for Ebay
This can start in 2016.  For the rest of this year, I am spending my train money on investigating some vintage walks from London Underground in 1960s and 1970s guide books.

London Loop
2015 Plans

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I too am about to start on the London Countryway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just followed you on Twitter - if you start before me, I can check on your progress!

    ReplyDelete