Saturday 6 April 2024

06/04/24 - Belbroughton Village Walk

 No time for the Pub


Strangely, with cocked up plans caused by traumas too dull to document, I find myself with a Saturday afternoon free. The randomiser is sparked up select the next location in my Hidden Places book.

Belbroughton.

A village packed with history, with every building seemingly hosting a blue plaque and random bits of scythe making machinery left in public spaces.

Belbroughton Steam Hammer
A Hammer Press

The village is exited to the South West from the Churchyard. A pleasant bit of ridge walking leaves me battling Storm Kathleen, which bizarrely brings high winds and warmth, with no rain.

Belbroughton Church
Belbroughton Church

Drayton Pond is the only alternative to agricultural fields and paths of various degrees on mud.

Drayton Pool
Drayton Pond
   
If I ever read my blogs in the future, maybe I will notice that my elderly OS Map shows a footpath that has now moved around Brookfield Farm. This is the second time I have made the same mistake.  

So what Belbroughton provides with historical interest and pretty buildings, it does lack easy parking. As the very definition of a rat run, leaving the car parked on the street makes you wonder if the wing mirrors will be still attached on return. The Talbot pub car park is now fee based and there is a steep increase in cost from 2 hours to all day.  

I arrive back back on the dot of expiration. 5 miles walked in exactly 2 hours. Even with the lost footpath of Brookfield Farm.  

There is no decision to be made on whether the Talbot, Queens Head or Ye Olde Horseshoe Inn gets the Mappiman dollar.

Walk Details

Distance - 5 Miles

Geocaches - 2

Walk Inspiration - Village Walks in Worcestershire, Walk 2

No comments:

Post a Comment