Saturday 2 January 2021

02/01/21 - Geocaching in Luckington, Wiltshire

Distance - 8.5 Miles

Geocaches - 40

First Cache


First blog of 2021 and I'm off to a fellow Tier 3 county for a big day of finding tupperware in trees.

Alternative entertainment is currently unavailable.

The Old Royal Ship, Luckington
You should be so Luckington - The Old Royal Ship Inn

After an Xmas of slopping around fields of Worcestershire and the burst banks of the River Wye in Herefordshire, this cache trail appealed as it it is largely on tarmac.  This made for easy walking, as I made my way from Luckington to Sherston and finally Alderton.  Sopworth doesn't get a mention, as it doesn't end in 'Ton.

But little to bring you in the way of photos.

Lanes
I plodded mud free lanes like this....
Geocaches
... to drop TBs off in tubs like this.

I didn't expect the first in person "Happy New Year" from outside of my immediate household to come from a hunt saboteur, but I've given up being surprised about anything.  I could hear and occasionally see the Badminton Hunt from Allengrove Lane - which at times, became a motorway of 4x4s - presumably spectators racing to the next point.  At Giant's Cave Longbarrow - there was one Range Rover - with a posh lady, not 100% dissimilar to Camilla Parker-Bowles, who was watching with intent a Khaki Clad (right up to his face mask) fella with a box around his neck saying "CCTV Recording".  I asked if he was OK and he tried to recruit me to his cause by explaining how he is following the hunt to send signals on where the masking scent should be laid and she is following him to tell the hunt where the hunt saboteurs are.

And some people think that finding boxes is an odd way to spend a morning.

Sabs attacks on Mrs Range Rover got increasingly personal.  I left when he suggested the horses had better teeth.  

I've come prepared with my own supplies - so all I need is a suitable spot for lunch and Alderton's Duck Pond provides massively with a choice of two benches and quite a collection of aquatic birds to keep me entertained.  Like many places in England, you only have to scratch the surface to find something sinister.

My first Untappd Check in of 2021 at a Wiltshire Crime Hot Spot.

Geocaching lunch of Timothy Taylor Landlord
Ham Sandwich and McCoys Crisps out of view

Alderton Crime Hotspot
The Sign where I live says "Take your unwanted ducks to Hong Kong Garden"

Arrive back into Luckington - having found all but one of my quarry today.   2021 off to a caching start - thanks to dasie19 & Artorius70 for the placement and maintenance.


No comments:

Post a Comment