Saturday 1 August 2020

01/08/20 - Ashby-de-la-Zouch - The Tap at #76

Distance - 7 Miles
Walk Inspiration - CW Magazine, August 2018, Walk 10
Geocaches - 7


I remember when driving to Leeds from the Midlands, you had to go through the centre of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

This explains the high number of coaching houses that line the high street. Ironic that the only entry in the 2020 Good Beer Guide is a history ignoring new Micro Pub.   I also have the chance of  a tick to get to from a different publication - Britain's Strangest Pubs. What wonders does the White Hart hold?

First, a walk. Finding one is harder than expected. Despite every issue of CW Magazine and two bookshelves groaning with walking books - my on-line database contains a single walk from the town centre. Maybe the National Forest is not that geared up for decent rambling?

I will say this for the NF - there's a decided lack of trees.

I head North East along the town's high street - eyeing up boozers, failing to spot the castle.  The Ivanhoe Way running along green lanes, past factories.  A navigational error at Western Old Parks Farm, where I was seduced by the first decent views and missed my turning.

National Forest Views
Do not head this way
National Forest Track
This is the required path
Smisby village is an absolute delight - the Smisby Arms looked like it was just getting ready for the day - at 11:57am, it would not have been the end of the world for me to have waited three minutes but its a little early into the walk.  Instead, I admire the Smisby Lockup - a temporary jail for drunkards - and the pretty church, perched on high.

Smisby
Should Have
Smisby
Smisby Church
Smisby
The Lockup

Heading South West to Blackfordby, I encounter some exotic Leicestershire wildlife at Scam Hazel Farm but miss out on the Black Lion - getting home to read about it in the Good Beer Guide.  This could have been a two tick walk.

Ram
Hard as Nails - I stroked him, he butted me
Llama (or Alpaca)
Llama (or Alpaca)
Nothing to record, as I come through fields, the new builds and back into the town.

So first off - the White Hart.  I think the author of "Britain's Strangest Pubs" was running out of ideas when he included this one.  Strange, because it has a stuffed bear somewhere inside.  A greeter explains the rules of this Marstons house.  Scan the QR code to register at a website that hadn't loaded by the time I finished my lemonade.  I ask him if the bear is still here.  He says yes.  I fail to find the bear.  To be honest, I was getting confused by the one way system of arrows painted on the floor.

White Hart, Ashby
Dick Turpin's Favourite
Beerwise, I was saving myself for the Tap at number 76.  I'd checked it was open.  Hadn't noticed that it was only for take outs.  First time ever greeted at a pub with the shout "One at a time please".


Tap at 76, Ashby
Tap at #76 - next to the Market Hall

There were other pubs - the Bulls head, looking suitably ancient, the Queens Head looking like you could stable your horses.  Instead, I had another go at finding the castle.

The Castle, Ashby
Found!


2 comments:

  1. Lots of walks as you head towards Calke and the Tollgate Tap... Milking Parlour...is not far from there.
    Smisby Arms and Tap House in Smisby both worth a visit and the plough and bowling green are both just off the main market Street and proper locals.
    Smartest spoons I've ever been in to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed the Tap House - but do regret not starting early at the Smisby Arms. Looked wonderful. An idyllic village inn.

    ReplyDelete