Saturday 26 October 2019

26/10/19 - Two more GBG Ticks in Birmingham - The Shakespeare and Head of Steam

Last time I pub blogged, it was 3 weeks ago for a couple of 2nd City Good Beer Guide ticks.   I'm back again to pick off the stragglers.   No Baggies visit this afternoon, the power of Group On has provided a fine dining reservation at Purnells.   By the end of the day, I can say that I have eaten in a Michelin starred restaurant. 

A scotch egg, followed by Fish and Chips, would you believe.

First, to work up an appetite, we battle through rain lashed Birmingham to find a back street Victorian red brick boozer.

Shakespeare, Summer Row, Purity Ubu


Shakespeare, Summer Row, Birmingham
Google Maps was put away on the approach
The rugby fans had departed, enabling plenty of photos of a traditional Nicholsons pub that had sneaked its way into the bible.  3 Ubus, Doom Bar and the ubiquitous Nicholson Pale ale providing the ammunition.

Shakespeare, Summer Row, Birmingham
Marie Celeste of Bars
It's an attractive boozer - certainly quite high on the opulence scale for Birmingham - leather seating, chandeliers, ornate Bass Mirrors. 

The Vanden Plas of Birmingham Boozers, if you like.    And some fine windows to watch the unfortunates battle through the weather.

Shakespeare, Summer Row, Birmingham
Mrs M preferring to be in, rather than out
Head of Steam, Temple Street, Delirium Red (2/3rds)

Following the working men's lunch at aristocratic prices, we headed on to a brand new opening.   I've ticked off the Head of Steam in Leeds, which I'm certain that was far more traditional.

You know you are in trouble when CAMRA are using the phrase - "Steam Punk".

Equally, when you have to make eye contract with bouncers at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and not quite knowing why you feel so guilty. 

Still, from a beer perspective, there's loads going on.   Its like taking a holiday without the travel.

75cl bottles of Chimay Blue surround the bar.   I asked if they were for sale and the answer is affirmative, with the added incentive that they will put them in the fridge if you provide 24hrs notice.  I must remember that, for it is a certainty that I will return.

A huge bank of hand pulls are noticed but I couldn't get close enough to decipher the choice.  Instead, like many a boozehound before him, I was seduced by advertising.

Head of Steam, Birmingham
Follow the Pink Elephant.   Or the Chouffing Gnome.
I found the Delirium's Pink Elephant last week in Valencia's wonderfully named "Beers and Travels bar".   I wasn't going to make the mistake of having a full pint (or two) of that again.

I mentioned the subsequent grief that caused to the bar man, who suggested a more conservative 2/3rds glass.

My dad would have been proud of me.   Or just confused.

As well as being the first 2/3rds ever ordered, it was also my first Cherry Fruit beer.

It was a 45 minute battle to finish it, but I did win.

Head of Steam, Birmingham
2/3rds of Cherry Beer in a Cyperpunk Setting 


No comments:

Post a Comment