Monday 18 December 2017

18/12/17 - Kidderminster's King and Castle Makes It

The annual amble along the canal to Kidderminster.

Last year, there was much work to do, ticking off a high number of Good Beer Guide Pubs in a town that could be considered by many to be dying on it's arse.  Although the pub scene has much improved, I couldn't understand why the King and Castle was excluded from the 2017 Bible.

Well, either my blog hit home or Wyre Forest Camra also recognised it's qualities.

There's also another new GBG entry - the Beer and Cider Emporium.  In the spirit of all good micro pubs, this keeps odd hours.   On Mondays and Tuesdays, it keeps no hours at all.   Note to self - next year's walk needs to happen later in the week.

So a blog for a pub that can nearly be described as my local, positioned perfectly next to my closest railway station.  It's the starting point for any trips to the Hawthorns and the only part of the day guaranteed to be pleasurable.  It's the end point for many 2hr 45 minute train journey from the Smoke.  The longest train journey in the world without refreshment services.

By the time I've checked out the Boar's Head (new ownership, £2 for a decent pint of Wainwright) a pea souper has descended.

King and Castle, Kidderminster
Festive King and Castle
I wasn't going to.  But I did.   Like the man that stares at the overhead menu in a chippy for ten minutes and then orders "Fish and Chips", I looked at all the options, familiar and new, and ordered the usual Bathams.

But shock/horror and other associated gasps of incredulity.  It was only when I took it to my table that I noticed that it was a cloudy, flat abomination of a pint.   I never like taking beer back, since the 1st time I tried to take the world's most vinegary pint of Pedigree back to a very drunk landlord who assured me it was fine.  But take it back I did.

The barstaff were equally horrified.  They changed the barrel immediately and then sent a team member to offer a replacement pint to any recent purchasers of Bathams. 

Much conversation about other horror stories of trying to take back dodgy pints in dodgy boozers.

But not at the King and Castle.

King and Castle, Kidderminster
2nd Attempt and Happy Bathams Drinkers

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see the King back again, I reckon there's just TOO many good pubs in Kiddy (and Bewdley). Pleased to see it's not just me who's too scared to take a dodgy pint back last night, and that the K & C know how to respond. retiredmartin

    ReplyDelete