Saturday 7 October 2017

07/10/17 - Lichfield Good Beer Guide Ticks

Stage 6 of the Heart of England Way delivers me into Lichfield.  10.4 Miles of walking deserves serious refreshment.

I know the 2018 Bible has four places of interest but what treasures will they hold within?

Turns out to be a bit of a day of firsts.

The Duke of York, Greenhill, Bass Pale Ale

Before we get onto the Ale, lets talk about the pub.  The oldest in Lichfield, with an interior little changed since its naming in 1644 after the man who would eventually become King James II.

Living history is of the reasons I love my pub visits.

Duke of York, Lichfield
Duke of York - Lichfield
Duke of York, Lichfield
Claim to Fame
Duke of York, Lichfield
Been like this since 1644

The other, of course, is the beer.  This is a Joules Brewery House.  I'm not familiar with their range but on reaching the bar I spot a Red Triangle that would have a well known Cambridgeshire based Beer Blogger wishing he hadn't gone traipsing around unopened Birmingham boozers.

You were so close, Martin.

Red Triangle of Glee
Losing my Bass Virginity
I've been in a lot of pubs.  I've sat under their branded mirrors, seen the signs but never once actually found a place selling it.

It didn't disappoint and taken in front of a huge log burner in such ancient surroundings, I cannot help but wonder if I have peaked too early.

The Whippet Inn, Tamworth Street. Miner's Best Bitter

From 1664 to 2014 and another first for my blog... A micro pub.  I know there's lots of them in the Good Beer Guide, but somehow, they have passed me by.
The Whippet, Lichfield
Bunting out for Mappiman's 1st Micro
The Whippet, Lichfield
Summed Up Nicely
Its tiny.  Its brightly lit. The only nod to decoration is a coat hook, a clock and a Good Beer Guide 2018 Poster.  There's near silence, broken only by the occasional beery comment like "Look at the Lacing on that!" and "Tiny Rebel is the best brewery in the British Isles!"

As you'd expect, the beer was exceptional.  Micro Pub and Microbrewery, with an excellent LocALE Miner's Best Bitter enjoyed.

On departure, I'm met with a cheery farewell.  They all know where I am going.

Next door.

Beerbohm, Tamworth Street, Thornbridge Jaipur

You go all your life without blogging about a Micropub and then you do 2 two in 10 minutes.  These two places must be the answer to a future CAMRA Quiz question "Where are the two nearest Good Beer Guide Entries?".

Beerbohm, Lichfield
Elegant
This could be described more as a Beer Cafe.

And its wonderful - a possible blue print for the future of public boozing?  The people of Lichfield agree - its packed solid and encouragingly, by a high proportion of discerning twenty-somethings.

I probably should have thrown myself to fate and asked the most genial and knowledgeable landlady (are they called that in Beer Cafes?) to recommend one of the many Belgian brews on offer.

However, after considering the lesser spotted Hook Norton Mild on the handpull, I noticed another much discussed but never sampled brew.

Lichfield, you provided my first pint of Thornbridge Jaipur.

Jaipur at Beerbohm, Lichfield
This is what a Beer Cafe Looks Like
I loved this place so much, I am considering exporting the concept to Worcestershire.

I would have stayed, but there is one more to tick.

The Horse and Jocky, Sandford Street, Timothy Taylor Landlord

I always knew this day would come.  The day I had to pick between an Otter and a Landlord.

Both are old favourites.  Both are on offer at this excellent boozer that take their trade seriously.

Landlord at the Horse and Jockey, Lichfield
Another great pub
Landlord at the Horse and Jockey, Lichfield
Landlord Won

And what a find the Horse and Jockey is.  Five real ales on the front and an old boy, suitably proud of his local, tells me there two more around the side.

We get into quite a chat about the thriving Lichfield Scene.  He likes the Whippet Inn but is in for a long session today and finds their beers too strong.

If I hadn't been catching the 3:15pm train, I would have joined him.   The landlord was in exceptional condition - possibly the best I have ever had.

And I've been to Yorkshire.

I hit the train with 2 minutes to spare and have a journey back to reflect on how lucky the boozers of Lichfield are.   The Bible has helped me sniff out their finest establishments and each one was a joy.

Can't wait for the 2019 Guide to come out so I can go back.

2 comments: