Saturday 23 July 2016

23/0716 - Flyford Flavell Movie Caches

Distance - 4.1 Miles
Geocaches - 18
First Cache
Pub - The Ivy Inn, North Littleton, Doom Bar

Holiday traffic and an overturned caravan on the M5 put paid to my plans of investigating Gloucestershire's premier neolithic long barrow.

Mrs Mappiman was delighted.

Instead, we planned to complete a more local walk and visit our friends who have just taken over the running of the Ivy Inn in North Littleton.  31 miles away from Chez Mappiman - just enough distance that I cannot make a nuisance of myself by calling around for frequent freebies.

I noticed that a new Geocaching trail had been placed at Flyford Flavell.  I know FF pretty well.  Its on the early stages of the Millennium Way and all the local pubs down A422 - including the Boot Inn where we parked - have been previously investigated.

The cache trail is perfect.... lots of adventures for a good day out, a variety of caches - including a couple of multis and bonuses.  The CO, Team Squishy Hamster, have a wicked sense of humour. 

Great job on your trail!

I'm not going to describe the caches in any detail, other than to stick with the movie theme and quote Danny Glover in the Lethal Weapon.  Having got stuck up a tree at the grand old age of 46, I declared that I was "too old for this sh*t".

And if you are doing this trail, and I suggest you do cachefans, don't miss the classic in the phone box back at the village.  It's beyond brilliant.

Too Old for this
Call Flyford Flavell Fire Brigade
Leap into the Unknown
Leap into the Unknown
Millennium Way
Millennium Way
Classic Container
King of the Caching Containers
Circuit Completed with 1x DNF and 1xDNL (puzzle too hard to work out in the field), we make our way to the other side of Evesham.

Now, I thought I had walked everywhere in Worcestershire but Offenham and the Littletons (there's a South and Middle) are completely new to me.  Prime walking country too - nestled below Bredon Hill and the Malverns - with great views.

The pub is a classic piece of little England.  It's next to the village green and the centre of the village with everything a pub sportsman could want - including a skittle alley.  I'm sure last night's Morris Dancing on the green would have further enhanced it's timeless feel.

Next time we come, we are bringing a tent.  Sticks.  And some bells to wrap around our knees.

Ivy Inn, North Littleton
Which Way to the Ivy Inn?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the series! We had great fun setting it up! We're pleased with the Fine Pair Flyford Flavell too; it's always nice to know people share our (slightly odd) sense of humour. If you enjoyed IM, have a bash at our OJ series too! All the best Crashie of TSH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - will do. I hadn't noticed that was yours as well! I'll put that on the to do list. Thanks again for the caches!

    ReplyDelete