Saturday 2 February 2013

02/02/13 - Camra Pub of the Decade

Walk Inspiration
Distance - 5.5 Miles
Caches - 2 on route, but already found


This walk has been a long time coming.... it's been three weeks since my last walk.  Two weekends ago, we can blame the snow and in the meantime, I have visited four Canary islands, eaten chicken tagine in Morocco and ascended a Maderian mountain by cable car to be pushed back down in a whicker basket by two blokes in clogs.

No one can accuse Mappiman of wasting his time.

Whilst having plenty of time to think on hols, I came up with a plan to combine walks with the top 10 county pubs in Worcestershire and neighbouring counties.  Number 4 in the list is the Bell at Pensax, with a score of 8.3 out of 10. 

Next is to find inspiration for a walk and again, www.walkingworld.com provides value for its subscription money.

By the look of the skies, we have brought the good weather back with us.  Park up at the layby over the road and head off into the beautiful British countryside.  This walk has stunning views all around.  Much better than a moon landscape made of volcanic ash.
 

P1020247
Blue Skies all around
Snead common is all farmland with plush green fields.  Only problem is that it does turn into a dog obstacle course, with increasingly complex stiles to navigate at each field boundary.  I am sure that one of them could be a substitute for Becher's Brook at the grand national.

Pass Hawley Farm, New England (cue humming Billy Bragg Songs) and then Worsley Farm.  Should have read the walk instructions, as the sign posts dry up - but the right of way is up someones drive.  No wonder they have taken down the sign - wouldn't think I would like goretex clad strangers and their dirty dogs coming on my land.  I take a small detour but soon find myself on track.

We are soon in Abberley, a place that I have walked through many times.  There is a rumour that the Manor Arms is closed again, but at just before 12pm, there is a lot of clanging of beer barells emanating from within.  I have high hopes it's back up and running.

P1020255
A pub, but not the pub
A stiff climb up the hill but rewarded with views in all directions.  I now know why I have only ever come down this way on my previous walks.  We are aiming for the Clock Tower at the Abberley School - a landmark that can be seen all over the county.

P1020263
Great Feature - but its not 13:15
P1020266
Lurking in the Shadows
Drop down on new paths to me that bring me out to the Elms Hotel and then a nice walk through the woodland of Ridding Coppice to get back to the reason why I am here.

P1020270
The Bell
P1020275
Molly looks for food, rather than the camera
P1020277
Not just number 4 pub in the county - Camra pub of the decade
 
The pub has wonderful open fires that welcome a weary walker.  However, I have picked up rather too much worcestershire mud to sit inside. My mother in law did advise me to wear my specially laundered gaiters, advice I should have heeded. 

I de-boot, order my hobsons and have plenty of time to take photos of all the awards and old brewery signs that adorn the outside.

I will be back to test the menu when more suitably attired.

No comments:

Post a Comment