Sunday 2 October 2011

2/10/11 - No Sleep till caching....

Caches - 19
Distance - 6 Miles
First Cache
Found - 16, DNF 3

Kingsford



The indian summer continues, so after an escape from the X-factor by going to the pub, we went to bed with the windows open.  This proved a mistake as there were two independent parties going on from the Trevithick Massif.  The first family, named after a well known vegetable, kept the party going till 2am.  Its the second lot who made the real noise.  His identity shall be kept secret but we think his friends are werewolves.  There is no other explanation for the howling at the moon at 4am this morning.  You know who you are Toy the Darber.

So up early.  Yesterday when blogging yesterday's walk a new series of caches appeared over Kingsford.  It was always going to be a challenge, as there were no clues, apart from the cache names.

It did lead to an absolutely stunning walk and some very amusing caches.

Park up at the recommended parking just over from kinver edge.  Are there any other cacher cars here?  It looks a bit early, so I may be OK.  Drop down a lane for cache number 1.  Nice easy find and it looks like I will be Ok on this trail.  Number 2 is similarily easy. 

Cache 3 is up the hill, but people are coming
Cache 3 makes me laugh.  Its in an Urn (as per the name) and I was setting up the camera to take a victory pose with the pot aloft when I hear voices coming through the woods.  Maybe another search party are on their way!  I quickly put it back and then make my way to cache 4 which I cannot find. 

The voices belong to cyclists rather than cachers, so I let them overtake but confidence is shattered as U cannot find 5 and 6 as well.  30 mins into the walk and it is Mappiman 3 - 3 All-Weather-Cacher.  I need to bring more people out with me to help look.

I don't mind because although I know the area well, I have not been on these paths before.  And they are stunning.  Great views out over the woodland and good tracks.  Makes a great round.

Get back into the game at cache 7, after a long hunt and then thinks get interesting as I make a U turn at Start Green Farm to enter Arley Woods.  Some great walking and the caches get really amusing.  I kiked the hammer of the gods and the big acorn a lot and my previous DNFs are fogotton.

This is a cache
Tracks in Arley wood are stunning, although I do get a bit lost at a pheasant farm trying to follow the green path on the map and we have to go cross country to get back on the route.  Molly loves it when she has to follow me through the undergrowth.

Arley Wood.  What's not to like?
At Witnells End, there is a expanse of grazing field that is surrounded by the woodland.  More picturesque views.

Lovely
The cache containers maintain interest levels and for the rest of the round, they are all finds.  Will I ever forget a trainer and the danger mouse (how on earth was that created!). 

Work my way through the Bodenham Estate.  Nice of them to build a room for you to record the caches.  Would have thanked them but do you think I get them to say hello to me?  Country folk with their country ways.

High Speed Internet
On the walk through the grounds of High Hobro farm, the path was blocked by an unusual obstacle.  A more senior man snogging his asian bride.  You would have thought that they would stop and move over, but they were so into their passion that I had to squeeze past with my labradoodle.

Back on familar ground at Kingsford Caravan Park, the last couple of caches (what was 17 all about?) and back to the car.

Do this for the walk.  The caches are an extra.  Fantastic route - thanks All-Weather-Cacher.

1 comment:

  1. I went caching last night in the pouring rain in Stourport on Severn. Only found one cache and got very wet in the process, but would like to try again some time. First time for us.

    ReplyDelete