Saturday 24 March 2018

24/03/18 - Heart of England Way - Stage 12 - Fillongley

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10, Stage 11


A full calendar year on the Heart of England Way and I arrive at Fillongley.

Nope, never heard of it either.

As usual, the walk starts where refreshment can be found.   I am going to hold the Manor House to its advertising claims.

Manor House, Fillongley
Manor House, Fillongley
Advertising the Legend
Googling Advertising Standards - Should it be needed later

Plotting this leg on the HOEW, showed featureless terrain and a distinct lack of Geocaches to break the apparent monotony.  There are three multis in the village and I complete the first one, using the digits of the telephone box to bag "a nice pair".

Onto the walk, which can only be described as fields and lanes.   And that's it.

Fields
One of the more exciting fields
Lanes
One of the more exciting lanes

2 hrs 30 minutes and I am back taking photos of Fillongley's lovely church.

Fillongley Church
Church
Muddy shoes off and into the pub.   Indeed there is TT Landlord.  I know this, as I get to stare at the pump for a good ten minutes before someone comes out the back to serve.  I even made a move towards ringing the bell but thought the table of youngsters would think I was calling time.

First, I enquire about Lunch.  There is none.   The lady says that the Cottage Inn up the road does food but it still leaves me with a dilemma.  Do I forsake my favourite beer for a meal?

I risk it to be rewarded with a choice of four ales - surprisingly including the rarely spotted (in these parts) TT Boltmaker.

But a certain red triangle caught my eye and should go fine with a Ploughman's.

Bass - in Ceremonial Chalice
Ceremonial Glassware
Cottage Inn, Fillongley
Cottage Inn - middle of nowhere


No comments:

Post a Comment