Thursday 22 December 2016

21/12/16 - The Good Beer Guide Pubs of Kidderminster

Distance - 3 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Pubs - 4

A month ago, I visited two pubs in Kidderminster.   The Station Inn is deservedly in the Good Beer Guide but not a patch on the King and Castle which isn't.  I vowed to come back and to save my blogfans any future heartache, by categorically finding the best pub in the town and determining if we can trust the Good Pub Guide as a guide for thirsty strangers in a new place.

But first, how to get there?  I could have gone Diamond Bus but a leisurely jaunt along the canal enabled me to get the final three geocaches on this stretch.  Nothing like combining pleasures.

Weavers, Park Lane - Three Tuns


Random PubsGalore Quote - "Enter to old living room, carpeted with granny wallpaper"
There used to be a pub along here called the Parkers Arms.  I mistakenly thought that this building was it, but no, that used to belong at the blank space next door.  As an 18 year old working at Brintons (when Kidderminster had industry) we used to head there for four Friday lunch time pints.

It was the acceptable in the 80s.

To be fair, if I still worked in Kidderminster, I would probably be tempted to do the same here - such was the quality of the Three Tuns.

Park Lane Weavers
Weavers - Park Lane
It's like entering someones house - through the lounge to a bar and the opportunity to go into another room, which I will describe as the parlour.  At least 8 real ales on - and despite vowing to try something new, I ended up with the Three Tuns.  It's just too good to resist.

Three Tuns
Ceremonial Glass
The parlour was packed, so I headed back to the lounge and roasted my chestnuts on the open fire, sharing the space with a friendly rottweiler.

Worthy of the GBG - Yes
Better than the King and Castle - No

The Swan, Vicar Street - Wye Valley HPA


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Bit of a run down doss house kind of place"
10 years ago, they used to move the furniture out, turn on the disco lights, crank up the volume and allow any potential punters bored of waiting for an afternoon bus the chance to strut their stuff.  I'm glad to report that things have improved, significantly, but not quite enough.

The Swan
Roland Hill guarding the Swan
They had three Bewdley Brewery Ales on - which is a nice touch, supporting the Local Brewers.  Again, I played safe and went for a Wye Valley HPA.

The Swan is now a typical town centre pub.  Bright, fruit machine, football on the TV, chicken in a basket meals.  Its OK - but with no individual character, there's just nothing to remember it by.

Worthy of the GBG - No
Better than the King and Castle - No

Ye Olde Seven Stars - Coventry Street - Woods Santa's Ales


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Has to be the best pub in Kiddy. An award that is similar to being the thinnest woman in the roly polys."

To be fair, this was an old review and the Kidderminster drinking scene has dramatically improved - mainly through the introduction of the new Weavers Real Ale Bars and the change of approach to lunchtime discos at the Swan.

Ye Olde Seven Stars
Beer and Cob House Sign is on the other side

Ye Olde Seven Stars has had a makeover.  Its now advertising itself quite loudly on the front as a "Beer and Cob House".

It's now even better than I remember.  Its still Tardis like - seemingly bigger on the inside than indicated by the outside.  Very friendly locals and landlord - who was freely distributing Game Pie, along with home made pickles.

But its the beers that make it stand out.  There was a choice of half a dozen.  I missed the Theakstons Old Peculiar (have I ever seen this served in Worcestershire before?) and went for a festive Wood's Santa's Ale.

It was absolutely stunning, although I kind of expected Santa to like his festive ale darker.

Woods Santa's Ale
Kidderminster's Pint of the Night
Worthy of the GBG - Yes
Better than the King and Castle - I'm going to declare it a Tie.

Weaver's Real Ale House - Comberton Hill - Three Tuns


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Despite being in a modern shop type building this place had quite a pub feel to it"
An intermission from proceedings, as Mrs Mappiman joins me for a decent curry at Sher-E-Punjab.

The last of the Kidderminster set is housed in a new build over the road.  For completeness, I am prepared to put myself out for you blogfans, and make sure the Kidderminster review is complete.

Comberton Hill Weavers
New Build
The original and sister pub to the Park Lane Weavers - it has all the same ingredients, with the additional bonus of free mince pies on the bar.  We were poppadom full and couldn't take advantage, although I was prepared to let another pint of Three Tuns slip down the sides.

The beer in here is great, as you would expect.  They have tried to make it a pub like experience and done a reasonable job but its more akin to sitting in a cafe and having a beer.  I like the nooks and crannies of our traditional boozers.  I like to bang my head when I move between rooms in a building that was erected when the average height was hobbit.

Comberton Hill Weavers
Mrs Mappiman waiting patiently for the Kidderminster Review to be over
Worthy of the GBG - Yes (for the beer)
Better than the King and Castle - No

So that's Kidderminster done.   Did the Good Beer Guide provide a worthy manual for a stranger?  I think so in the main.

Although if you are coming here by train, please don't miss out on the King of Kidderminster, a stone's throw from the platform.


No comments:

Post a Comment