Friday 25 March 2016

25/03/16 - The Cotswold Classic

Distance - 8 Miles
Walk Inspiration
Geocaches - 1 found, 1 not found
Pub - The New Inn, Willersey - Donnington SBA

Mrs Mappiman is working at Broadway Tower today.  I didn't need asking twice when offered to share her commute and complete a walk in the area.

You must have heard of Death Row Dinners - The last meal a condemned criminal can order.  A walk through the quintessential Cotswolds villages of Snowshill, Stanton and Stanway would be my Death Row Walk.

With the worker dropped off at the Tower - location of many a super walk in itself - its a short drive to where I pick up the walk at Snowshill.  Free parking just outside the village.

Can you get anywhere more picturebox?

Snowshill Arms
Scene of several post walk refreshments
Snowshill Church
Snowshill Church

I decide to complete the walk in an anti-clockwise circle, heading slowly down hill around the cusp of a perfect natural bowl.  The views are outstanding for most of this walk.

The Cotswolds
The Cotswolds
The Cotswolds
Views over the Vale of Evesham

As you would expect with such gorgeous weather on a bank holiday, the walking masses are out in force.  Now, I have always been a sociable rambler - saying "Hello" to everyone I pass.  But something unusual is now happening when I address people.

And I blame Country Walking Magazine.

Since they launched the #Walk1000Miles in 2016, an ever growing community of like minded people are sharing inspirational walks on Facebook.  So they can be identified as being in a gang, they have the opportunity to purchase a rather large shiny badge, announcing to the world who they are.

Social media is awash with said people and their badges jauntily adorned to rucksacks, fleeces and hats.

So now when I bump into people on walks, I am not only saying "Hello" - I am giving them quite the once other to see if they have a badge.

It's a wonder the rozzers weren't waiting for me as I arrive at my 2nd Cotswold village - Stanway.

Coming into Stanton
Approaching Stanton
Stanton Cross
The Cross in Stanway

A perfectly pretty little village with another fine pub - The Mount - which is not passed on this particular walk.

The Cotswold way takes me to the 3rd and final village today - Stanway.  This is dominated by the Manor House - which has the UK's highest gravity fed fountain within the grounds.  We don't get to see it on the walk but its presence is felt a little further on.

Stanway Church
Stanway Church

Once out the village, there's a toughish (this is the Cotswolds, not the Himalayas) climb up through Lidcombe Woods.  I've completed walks through here before and the same eerie thumping noise emanates from the trees.  This is the mechanism that feeds Stanway Fountain.

Views
Views as we climb into Lidcombe Woods
Lidcombe Woods
Lidcombe Woods

Out the woods and I'm back on the top of the escarpment, feeling like I am on top of the world.  Snowshill comes into view and I just need to overtake the other ramblers as I have had a text to say the Worker's shift is no more and she would like lunch.

Back to Snowshill
Move out the Way Ramblers - I have a ladies lunch to provide
On a day like this, Broadway will be awash with antique hunters and general lovers of Britain.  We head to the next village along,  Willersey, where the New Inn provides fine Cotswold beer from the Donnington Brewery and an interesting line in customer service.

Donnington SBA in the New Inn Willersey
End of a Perfect Day - but where's our Ham Sandwiches?

No comments:

Post a Comment