Thursday 16 August 2018

16/08/18 - The Bridge Hotel, Stanford Bridge

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk Inspiration


I've had my eye on this walk for a while but was put off by the comments from the last people to have completed it.   They talked of bad stiles and impenetrable crop fields.  As this was in 2012, I decided to bravely provide an update to the walking community.

And I'm delighted to announce that in August 2018, all is good.  The stiles require a touch of athleticism but the problem paths down by the Teme are now clear... although I was fortunate enough to walk it on harvest day.

One of the reasons I was interested in the walk is that it starts from an unexplored pub, The Bridges Hotel.  A steady uphill climb through fields rewards with fine views over Shropshire's Clee Hills.

Clee Hill Views
First of the Views over Shropshire
As well as the Bridges, there is a chance of a mid point stop off at the Cross Keys in Menithwood.  The same comments about bad paths indicate that the pub opens at 5pm and as the sun is past this yardarm, I will investigate.  First, however, I come across the weirdness of Burnt House.

Could this be a bonus pub?

Burnt House
Burnt Wood
If it is, its a pub that has been swallowed by nature.  It's also at the end of a track that cars cannot navigate and I admit to being a bit perplexed.   Having watched too many horror movies, my investigations are curtailed when I hear a radio and find this.

Burnt House Weirdness
Now I'm scared.
I hot foot it to Menithwood.  The OS Map shows the Cross Keys marked but I cannot find it on the ground.  A local confirms that it is a pub no more and we get into a conversation about Burnt Wood.  Carefully choosing her words, she tells of a gentleman that has removed himself from society and collects stuff.   Presumably restaurant signs and baby mannequins to stuff into wheel arches.

Downhill from Menithwoods to the potential problem areas... first a field full of beer ingredients and then wheat fields along the Teme.

Hops
Hops
Wheat
Harvest time is to my advantage

River Teme
Glimpse of the Teme only happens from Stanford Bridge
The only geocache of the day is found on the bridge - always nice to record a walk with a smiley - and all that remains is the pub.

Bridge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel, Stanford Bridge
How can you tell when you are in a Country Pub?  A fair indication is when the local at the bar is trying to get the ladies to feel his cucumber.  The offer is extended to a rambling stranger but one look at his stubby, nobbly effort makes me pleased the supermarkets complete vegetable beauty quality control.

Beer wise, with have a Ludlow Brewery Blonde and a Wye Valley HPA availble.  Big fan of Ludlow Brewery but I play it safe with a top quality HPA.

HPA at the Bridge Hotel
Jimmy Quadrophenia is in the Snug

No comments:

Post a Comment