Friday 30 March 2018

30/03/18 - Alcester Pub Crawl

Two days of Warwickshire Walking find me in Alcester Travelodge.  Nothing to do there, so despite the lack of pavements entrapping me and the heavy rain, a taxi is summonsed to take me pub ticking.

I've been to Alcester several times and admired the pubs, all lined up in a row in the main high street.  Day time visits just doesn't prepare you for quite how lively this pubby little town can be.

When darkness falls, the place is heaving.

The Dog and Partridge, Bleachfield Street, Purity Mad Goose


Dog and Partridge, Alcester
Do Like Good Signage
Bank Holiday.  6pm.  Wolves are beating Middlesbrough 2-0 with just nine men and the place is off the scale busy.   The taxi driver gives me a moral assessment of each character lurking outside on the fags.  The town is full of rogues, should you believe him.

One rouge asked for direction to the side door and I'm in, fighting my way to a brightly lit bar.  There was much debate with Mrs M about where to eat in town and this place was high on the list of options - based on her bible of TripAdvisor.  No food in the evenings, but they seem well noted for their breakfast.

A trainee barperson hands over a filthy looking pint of Purity Mad Goose.  I take it back to the only free table at the far end of the bar and wait for it to settle.   This doesn't happen and back it goes.  A severe reprimand is given by the more senior bar person and much debate is had about how much should be "pulled off".

I am provided with a replacement that initially looks identical.  Mid pour, I plaintively request a doom bar but I am assured it will be OK.

Eventually, #2 did settle averagely.

Dog and Partridge, Alcester
Slow Start with a Mad Goose
The Royal Oak, High Street, Adnams Southwold Bitter


Royal Oak, Alcester
Royal Oak, Alcester
Handsome enough pub, that would probably stand out more in a town with less choices.  One real ale on and I would show you a picture, if only they hadn't put my Southwold Bitter into a Tribute glass.

Moved from a the bar to sit in a comfy chair by a open fire, unsure if the jumper on the back belonged to anyone.  I was able to finish my pint without finding out the answer to this.

The Three Tuns, High Street, Hobsons Best Bitter

For my money, pub of the night.   Its not in the 2018 Good Beer Guide, but I'll await 2019 edition with a high expectation that it will be.  Having said that, research through my extensive library of two editions show that it was in the 2017 and has lost its place.

Packed solid with friendly punters who like to chat to a man in rambling gear on a bank holiday evening.

A full compliment of 8 hand pulls are on offer.  And if you're sick of Jam Jars indicating the hue, they have a novel twist here.

Three Tuns, Aclester
Shampoo Bottle Samples
Along with the beers, there's a fine shelf of Scotch Whiskies and Gins.  Sitting at the bar, I try and avoid passing on pearls of wisdom but when a young lady goes to the bar and asks for a Bourbon and Ginger Ale and the barstaff ask which one of the Scotch Malts she requires, I have to intervene on two counts.

1) Bourbon is from a different continent
2) Ginger Ale shouldn't be allowed in either

My pearls of wisdom are received with a shrug from both parties and I go back to people watching.

A man comes in with a bright red puffer jacket, bright red trousers, bright red baseball boots and a shock of white hair, I tell my fellow bar hangers that when I've seen Santa, its time to go.

The Turks Head, High Street, Timothy Taylor Landlord



Turks Head, Alcester
Classic Pub and Church Shot
The 2018 Good Beer Guide Entry and the good people of Alcester celebrate this fact by packing the place out.  Barely standing room in the front bar.

An exceptionally good pint of TT Landlord gets me in the mood for next weeks visit to Yorkshire.  Even if it did have to be taken alone in a corridor on the way to the loos.

Turks Head, Alcester
Peace and Quiet at the Turks Head
The Hollybush, Henley Street, Shefford Bitter

Lovely little pub this, nestling in the shadow of the Church.  I'm sure on my last visit it was a Freehouse but I have a feeling that its now an Everards pub.   Seemed to be a lot of their ales on.

Unfortunately, external smokes stopped photographs.

A large back room, wooden paneled side rooms and a cosy front room provided a very domestic feel.

With just the Cross Keys to knock off, I decide to call it a night, knowing that the town taxi is going to be popular on a rainy night.

Alcester, you were a pleasure, providing me with the shortest five pub crawl this side of Edinburgh's Grassmarket.


No comments:

Post a Comment