Wednesday 4 October 2017

04/10/17 - CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs of Reading - Part 3

A new edition of the Bible has been published since I started my quest to knock off the Good Beer Guide Pubs of Reading (Part 1, Part 2).  The total number in the 2018 Guide has increased from 8 to 11, with 4 new entries and a farewell to the Eldon Arms.

Bus journeys give you time to reflect.  Just when I start to think my ticking quest is a folly of Sisyphean proportions, I spy this from the Emerald 6 window.  Our pub culture needs to be recorded for posterity.

Plus, I like a pint.

View from the Emerald 6
Developers - don't rub it in and start demolition with the sign
The Allied Arms, St Mary's Butts, Sherfield Village Brewery TBA
Allied Arms, Reading
Allied Arms
Town centre pub that I've managed to previously find without a Good Beer Guide Recommendation.  Small main bar, with a nice beer garden around the back for when it's not October.  Free bar seating for me to peruse the options but without by glasses I mistakenly feel that my beer choice is from Sheffield and may be "To Be Announced".

Sitting at the bar may annoy other punters, but its the best place for gossip.  An old guy and his wife, neither of whom understand the concept of personal space, come in and spend an age making up their mind.  Its ends in confusion when he asks for his previously selected half to be poured into a pint glass and topped up. 

The lady behind the bar calls for management.

Allied Arms, Reading
Glass Confusion
In Mrs M's absence, I decide to be naughty and order a packet of scratchings, immediately felling lower than a snake's belly for my lack of self control.  I'll never do this again.

They were £2 a pack.

The Foresters Arms, Brunswick Street, Timothy Taylor Bolt Maker

A longish walk to the wild back streets of West Reading.  A three way tear up ends with a man scarpering from the screeches of a wronged woman walking up the street using a Smart Phone's torch to locate a missing object.  She may have thrown her wedding ring at him and regretted it but I didn't get involved.

Instead, I wonder how many times the locals have spotted a stranger bursting through the door of their local and gone "Here comes another CAMRA Ticker".

The Foresters
The eerie Glow of BT Sport through an estate pub window.
This is the very definition of a back street pub.   Service is provided by someone's nan, whilst someone's granddad is enticed to leave the pub with the promise of a chicken dinner.

In addition to having "an interior of historical importance", the Bible also states that "staff are enthusiastic about cask and happy to advice on beer choice".

None needed - the only ale on was Timothy Taylor Boltmaker.

Sitting under the Sports Entertainment, I failed to notice anything too special about the interior but can report they have a lovely real fire, nice external tiling and outside loos.

The Butler, Chatham Street, Hogs Back Bitter

The gauntlet of the back streets of Reading is again negotiated.  No more marital strife but next door to the Butler is The Face Bar.  In word that bring horror to any parent, the Face are holding a kids disco.

Cue hoards of teenagers with alco pops and no respect for a pub explorer trying to capture the blade runner feel of a boozer nestled in the glow of a multi story car park.

The Butler, Reading
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
Despite having the worst pub sign in the history of the world, this was Pub of the Night.

A classic pub interior, with a large central bar offering plenty of seating.  The Hogs Back Bitter was in absolutely perfect nick.

The Butler, Reading
Disturbing Pub Sign recreated on the Beer Mat. 
Once the interior had stopped being illuminated by the blue flashing lights, I knew it was time to complete tonight's journey.

The Greyfriar, Greyfriars Road, Wantsum Brewery Ravening Wolf

For some unknown reason, the last time I was in this part of town, I went to the Gateway next door.  Dear Reader, if you take one thing from this blog, do not make that mistake.

The Greyfriar is a real find and staffed by the right sort of people.  Those that love their job.

The Greyfriar, Reading
The Greyfriar
Another chance to sit at the bar and pass on the benefit I gained by being provided with tasters of all the beers to incoming punters.

The Greyfriar, Reading
All new brews to me
I did warn that this dark IPA came in at a Stellatastic 5.9%.

My third Reading outing in as many months leaves just two more ticks to gain.

At least until the 2019 guide is produced.


No comments:

Post a Comment