Tuesday 4 July 2017

04/07/17 - River Ver Walk into St Albans

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 10
Walk Inspiration - Half of Jarrold Walk 28 from Herts and Beds Walks


This is a nice example of clutching victory from the jaws of defeat.

I worked in Hatfield for 11 years and always stayed in St Albans, a place that I came to love as much as any other location in the UK.

I moved jobs and haven't been back in the area for 3.5 long years.

Imagine my delight when I had the opportunity to stay overnight for a visit to Stevenage.

Imagine my misery when a hotel could not be found in the City Centre.

How will those CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs get their ticks?

Eventually, the travel desk came up trumps.  I am in a rather nasty business hotel, 5 miles away from St Albans but a look at the OS Map and Geocaching.Com shows that three named trails and 10 geocaches can get me from A to B.

And it really is a delightful walk, taken on a warm summer's evening where the only things to ruin the ambiance are hay fever and flying bugs.


Out the hotel and straight onto the Nickey Line, the trackbed of the former Hapenden to Hemel railway line.   A welcome relief from the busy A road, providing some calm from the traffic and a handful of Geocaches.

The Nickey Line
Nickey Line for early, easy walking
After taking my life in my hands, I cross this A road and pick up the Hertfordshire Way. Beautiful golden countryside, where the caches are found in the shadow of the farmer spraying his crops.

The Hertfordshire Way
British Summertime on the Hertfordshire Way
The Herts Way delivers me to the River Ver - a delightful chalk stream running for 17 miles.  I am walking stage 5, the Three Bury's Walk and use good paths to take me past a number of mill houses and Tupperware treasure.

River Ver Walk
Good siganage
Fun Police at one of the Mills
Shafford Mill, where the Fun Police are out in force

The OS Map doesn't help with the final section, but it all makes sense once at Ground Zero.   The caches are shown as being on private land but when I arrive, the Hertfordshire way is well marked through the Gorhambury Estate on permissive paths.

Stunning walking, with St Albans Cathedral visible through the tree lined avenue.

Gorhambury Estate
Into Gorhambury Estate
A perfect "school night" walk and I am delivered into South West of a City and its choice of 8 CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs.

Normally, the post walk refreshment would be detailed here but 5 ticks is well worthy of a separate blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment