Saturday 17 December 2016

17/12/16 - Wye to Thames - Walk 7 - Evesham to Honeybourne

Distance - 10.3 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Previous Walks - Walk 1Walk 2Walk 3Walk 4Walk 5, Walk 6
Pub - The Thatched Tavern, Honeybourne, Abbot Ale

The vale of Evesham is not the most exciting place in the world to walk.  I've been here before and remember flat, agricultural fields offering little of interest.  As I make my way from Hereford to Oxford, I think I will be filing walk 7 under "Filler".

Hit the centre of Evesham at 8:30am, just as the Christmas markets are setting up, avoiding the temptaion of Bratwurst.  Have to find the bridge to get over the River Avon.

Avon at Evesham
Avon at Evesham
The route shares paths with Shakespeare's Avon Way - a long distance path from Naseby to Tewkesbury.  Initially, I thought it was the Shakespeare Way - an LDP from Stratford to London, but had misread the sign.  Who would have thought any one man could possibly have two LDPs named in their honour?   I now have an extra item on the bucket list.  My OS map shows the paths but not the new Wimpey housing estate that has sprung up.  Fortunately, the footpaths remain and take me to Offenham - a village that appears to be celebrating Christmas through the erection of a huge totem pole.

Offenham
Christmas in Offenham
Walking is less than average, crossing muddy cabbage fields and failing to find Geocaches.  The only climb of the day is up Windmill Hill.  It offers no views, but does take me into Middle Littleton.

There are three Littletons.  The pubs are in North and South Littleton.  Middle Littleton has a Tithe Barn, a church and some very friendly animals.   Never before has a sheep come up to me for a stroke.

Middle Littleton Tithe Barn
Tithe Barn - comes with its own Car Park
Porker
After the friendly Sheep, a friendly porker
Alpaca
The Alpacas keep their distance

More fields lead me to a caching trail around an institution called Long Lartin.  It rings a bell, but its not until I arrive that I realise its a prison.

HMS Long Lartin
Farm paraphernalia and a Category "A" Prison
Once the prison walls have been negotiation, more agricultural fields take me into Honeybourne.  A two pub metropolis.

Last time I was here, I said it would be the C13th Thatch Tavern that received a visit.  Initial disappointment that its a Green King pub was relived by lovely service from an Antipodean and Italian couple and a very decent pint of Abbot.

The Thatched Tavern
The Thatched Tavern
Abbot Ale
Fish Finger Sandwich is Imminent

No comments:

Post a Comment