Saturday 15 August 2015

15/08/15 - Oldswinford Pubs

Distance - 6 Miles
Geocaches - 5
Walk Inspiration - Pub Walks in the Black Country
Pubs - Labour in Vain (Bountiful), Seven Stars (Seven Stars), King and Castle (Bathams)


After two superbly bucolic walks in the Cotswolds, it seems fitting to do a walk that's a touch more urban.

I'm walking in Stourbridge.

Don't stop reading... the walk looks OK on the OS Map and the benefit of town walking is that I will have a choice of refreshment stops.

I'm even going on the train.  My walking partner bails on me, having more important stuff to do (I can't imagine either) - so I am dropped off at the station with the warning "not to go mad".  I'm only going for a couple of pints - its not as if I will be doing whisky chasers.  Unless they have a nice Cragganmore.  And thinking about it, its been a long time since I have had a Talisker.

Pay my £3.10 and alight at Stourbridge Junction.  I await a signal on the GPS.  A youth on the opposite side of the road is blaring out music that must be "Grime".

I'm not in Kansas now, Toto.

Signal received, sausage roll purchased and uphill to Mary Stevens Park.  Happy to report that the signage is just as good as the countryside.

Walk this Way
Let's see what's in Wollescote
And I am delighted to say there is a story.  English Civil War, 1643 and the Battle of Stourbridge.  To think, it was worth fighting over.  Prince Rupert - cousin of Charles I - loses the battle and like any good commander with Royal Blood, legs it and hides in a well.  Runs in the family, his Cousin lost the battle of Worcester, legged it and hid in a tree.

I know all this how?  Wikipedia - you say?  Yes, in part but there is a geocache at a rather nice memorial to the yellow bellied blue blooded Prince.

Wollescote Memorial
Cache GZ and History Lesson
Move through the park, across terrain that can be best described as a "Dingle" and then through a council estate to get back into the countryside at Wychbury Hill Fort.  Surprisingly good walking.

This is Stourbridge
This is Stourbridge
Wychbury Hill
Obelisk on Wychbury Hill

Drop down off the hill and collect some micro caches around Pedmore.

Navigate the golf course and reach the outskirts of town, ready to party like I haven't got to drive home.

First pub of the day is the Crown.  Lovely looking garden, hidden behind a locked gate.  It's 12.20pm, so I think "maybe they haven't opened up yet".  Round the front and it's my sad duty to report that this is one of the 31 a week that have closed down.

Dead Pub - The Crown
Another Dead Pub
Shed a tear and move on, going through the ancient churchyard of Oldswinford.  Play my usual game of finding the oldest gravestone and I gave up at 1765, declaring this the winner.

Oldswinford Church
Probably also contains some Cavaliers who didn't leg it like the boss

The road leads me to the second pub of the day - a grand old building which I enter, feeling that I have stumbled on a little bit of Las Vegas.  12:42pm on a Saturday afternoon and a full on game of poker, with green baize, counting chips and lashings of Pork Scratchings is in full flow.

I stop for a quick pint of Wychwold Bountiful before the lack of understanding about "I was looking for a one eyed jack on the river" left my head spinning.

Labour In Vain
Might have been dreaming as I recollect a politically incorrect signage on this Pub
A few doors up is the Seven Sisters Pub - which I make my next stop.  And its a fine old pub, with a central bar and spaced out TVs showing two different football games and the golf.  They even sell their own branded Real Ale - so I give that a go.

Seven Sisters
Seven Stars
Seven Sisters
And their Eponymous Ale

Think long and hard about looking at their top shelf exports from North of Border but instead realise there is a train back in the next 5 minutes.  This does not stop a last sidetracked Geocache before boarding with 20 seconds to spare.

Get back to Kiddy station and attempt to catch the bus.  No wonder only old people use them.  They have had a lifetime to understand the timetable.

There is one bus back home - the number 3.  According to the sign, this only runs on Sundays.

Thinking that cannot be correct, I retire to the King and Castle to ponder how to get home.

Sonia, as always, comes to my unrequested rescue - texting me to see if I need a lift..  Just as Mary Quant and two of the Sgt Peppers band come in.

60's weekend on the Severn Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment