Sunday 21 April 2013

21/04/13 - Atonement

Distance - 10.3
geocaches - 6
Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine, March 2013

Stokesay Castle



I would recommend reading Ian McEwan's book and watching Joe Wright's film.  If you complete this walk by Julie Royle, you can also just about see the film location.

After the 7.5 miler yesterday, no-one is up for joining me.  Sonia at least takes a cup of tea, whereas the dog keeps a distinctly low profile.  Just me then, with the new Depeche Mode album for company on the 40 minute drive.

Get into the thick of things quickly.  There is a geocache at the layby where I park and then I am immediately at architectural highlight 1 of the walk - Stokesay Castle.  The finest example of a 13th Century fortified manor house in England.  And I love it.

Stokesay Castle
Repels the Welsh Raiders.... plus geocachers in Berghaus
Stop for a few photos and then grab the cache in the church grounds.  Pick up the Shropshire Way for the first climb of the day, as I make my way up to View Edge.  This is one of those walks where you can take breathers by getting the camera out.... views at all times, in every direction.

The Shropshire Way turns into the Marches Way - without you really noticing.  The woodland is replaced by farmland as I work my way to my favourite stretch of the walk - Brandhill Gutter.

This is really the valley that time forgot.  It's all downhill on tight little paths next to a stream.  The further we get down, the less accesible the homesteads are and it allows you to ponder the questions such as "where do they go for milk", "what time does the paper boy get here" and "just how scary is it down here at night".  It does make for fine walking.

 
Brandhill Gutter
There are houses down the Gutter
Brandhill Gutter turns into Aldon Gutter.  Meet my first human of the day - a two dogged walker.  She says nothing but her dogs at least bark acknowledgement of my presence.

As it opens out, I can just about pick out Stokesay Manor, hoping to get a glimpse of Keira Knightly coming out of the fountain.  The trees are mature and the drive at the front is curved.  The super rich certainly like their privacy - so no decent photos.  And this pile was built by a Glove Manufacturer.  He must have sold a hell of a lot of gloves to get a house like that.

On the road, I meet a hoarde of OAP ramblers coming the other way.  Ask them if I can join their gang when I grow up.  Arrive at Onibury and having driven across the bridge many times, I walk it for the first time.

Station to Station
Onibury the Lonely
Quick cache at the bus shelter and pass an interesting looking pub that I have never noticed before - The Apple Tree.  You can tell it is untouched by time, as the window carries a large etched advertisement for "Players Please".  A newer pub would have "No smoking, thank you".

A short climb up onto farm land for more superb views and arrive at the foot of Whettleton Hill for the forth cache of the day. 

Farm Land
Have a couple of flat fields - there's a big hill coming up
Julie then does me.... I thought I had all the climbing out the way but she wants me to huff and puff my way up to steepest bits of the day, 7 miles into the walk.  There is the enticement of an Iron Age Hillfort to keep me going.

Sweat poring out of me, we circle Norton Camp Hill fort and emerge out the trees for more special views.  If I had any breath left, it would have been taken away.

Clee Hill
Lush
All downhill and the walk just misses off Craven Arms, by looping around the back of the Shropshire Secret Hills Experience Centre.  Not sure what is so secret about it, as there is a sign on the main road.

Its open access land, so I cross the River Omney to get a couple of final cache of the day.  Muggles at one cache, so I pretend to want to take a photo.   Might as well pop it up.

River Omny
Hoodwinking Muggles
Get the final cache of the day - the rains are just coming.  Loved the walk, but I have to say the Geowagon was a sight for sore legs.

GeoWagon
Wheels in front of previously conquered hill

2 comments:

  1. Hi there :-) Have just found your blog after seeing your log on the geocache site. Would you believe we were the muggles at the cache today! Lol. Our gps was acting up and leading us to entirely the wrong spot. I have to admit I wondered if you were a fellow cacher, but you were quite convincing while pretending to take the photo so we decided you were a muggle. When we did finally locate the cache and saw that the log has just been signed, we knew it must have been you. We chuckled all the way back to the car at your ability to sign it pretty much right in front of us without us realizing. I'll say this was not one of our "brighter" days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol.... When I got to the next one in the willows and saw the log had been signed, I thought you must be cachers! Mad hobby this! Hope you had a good day :-)

    ReplyDelete