Saturday 14 July 2012

14/07/12 - Not raining, still soaked

Distance - 8.2 Miles
Geocaches - A whopping one
Walk Inspiration
Rude place name - Joan's Hole

Bliss Gate



Another weekend....  carefully check the weather forecasts, hoping some relief from the constant misery.  It promises that the rain will stop at 9am and they are bang on.  This gives me time to finish the latest Iain Banks book and then head out for a local walk found from the www.walkingworld.com.  Never fails to provide inspiration.

I know that the ground is going to be wet, so decide to wear my gaiters today.  I don't like them, as inevitably, they end up falling down and leaving me looking like Nora Batty.  Whilst I am attempting to get the damned things on, the dog very quietly slopes off upstairs and attempts to hide.  She's not getting away with it that easy.

Head out for the short drive.  I knew she would be fine when we got going.  In my rear view mirror, I can see her shaking with excitement.

Park up opposite the pub.  Sadly, another one bites the dust. 

Moves me to tears - but the Divertion sign takes you to the Forresters
Head up the road just past the pub and soon see that I have to pass through fields.  My initial joy at the view is soon tempered by the size of the crops in the field.  Don't know what they are, but lets call them Triffids for now.  Unbelievable - there is no clear path through and you need a sythe to get pass. 

That's the path.... Cheers.
We battle our way through to the steam.  Its not easy and in moments, my application of gaiters is akin to putting a plaster on a severed limb.  I am soaked through to my pants.  The dog isn't fairing much better.

Don't look at me when I am like this
Things don't get much better when we are across the other side of the stream.  There are loads of paths to work our way across.  When the triffids turn to wheat, there isn't even a gap through the crops.  I cannot go through there, so at SO748719 I decide to cross the stream again and try and get to the road.

Plans are thwarted when there is a footpath but no bridge.  Presumably, the stream is normally easy to cross without one.  Not in today's torrent.  I am thinking of what to do and the dog jumps in.  This is not the best idea.  We know she likes a swim but I have a sneaking suspicion that this may have been a suicide attempt.

Decide to follow the steam, not on path, to where it meets the road.  Thankfully, there is a gate, so I can emerge.  Soaked through and not very happy.

I am an angry Nora Batty
The road walking provides plenty of respite.  Soon, I pick up the Worcestershire Way.  This is now fantastic walking and soon my spirits are restored.  Great views on a great path.  And I have not completed this part before.

Worcestershire Way, a proper path
Always like a rude place name on the OS Map, and today's is provided by Joan's Hole.  This is a bridge, where I split away from the Worcestershire Way.  As the path follows the stream bed, I am kind of glad.

Good luck, Worcestershire Wayers
We have a stiff climb up the hill to the Dunley Road.  Nice views behind.


This is why I put myself through this.
Half a mile of road walking before picking up the Worcestershire Way again.  Great paths and well signposted, taking us across the golf course.  The course is flooded, so we have it to ourselves and it makes for some very nice walking after our battles with the Triffids.

We turn into Park End and through Burnt Wood.  This has the Frank Chapman outdoor education centre and I pass several groups of Duke of Edinburgher's who are looking damp and not too happy.  We also have our one and only cache that I haven't previosuly found.  A minor divertion and despite having a hopeless GPS signal, a quick find.

He holds his cache aloft
Emerge at Lye Head and then down on the footpath on the opposite side.  Meet my next group of DoErs who tell me that the conditions are awful and one of them has had her boot pulled off.  Nothing for it, I have to get back to the car.

I see the problem.  The steam has burst its banks and is a torrent, leaving a group of bovines marooned and us with no choice but to plough on through.

Our path to the car
Up to my knees, but had the advantage of cleaning off the dog
Marooned Bovines
On the road and a squelch back to the village along the roads.  Quite an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment