Saturday 16 February 2019

16/02/19 - Kings Cross to Victoria - Following in the Footsteps of Aleister Crowley

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Good Beer Guide Ticks - #366 and #377
Walk Inspiration - Time Out London Walks, Book 2, Walk 13


There's a massive commentary to this walk but if you want to know the details, then you'll have to buy the book detailed at the top of the blog.  Basically, it's a walk that looks into the key places in the life of Aleister Crowley, the wickedest man in the world.  The book's instructions run 6 full pages and there's copyright considerations.

The magician is not of major interest to me, I was just looking for a walk that took me to the touristy bits of London.   Its been too long since I had free time in the Capital and I have missed it tremendously.

The next consideration, was how many photos to load up.   Walking in London presents far too many opportunities, with something of visual interest on every street corner.

The answer to that was solved by SanDisk.   My SD Card corrupted when loading it into the PC.   I then put it back into the camera, which re-formatted it rather hastily and without an "are you sure?" prompt. 

So that's easily solved.

Instead, I'll present the highlights and the details of a couple of Good Beer Guide Pubs ticked off.  Photos will be a combination of those lifted from the net and taken on my phone.

The Walk Highlights

  • Kings Cross
  • Mount Pleasant
  • 3 Gentlemen of the Street, one lighter and some drugs
  • Holburn, including a visit of JDW for the facilities without lining Tim's brexit pockets
  • British Museum
  • Soho and a potential farewell to the Norman's Coach and Horses in its current guise (was to be a blog on it's own - those photos lost for ever.   I will be back before Fullers do something dreadful)
  • A Street Protest (Shame on you, animal abusers!  Shame on you, animal murderers!)
  • St James Park
  • Channel 4 HQ
  • The quite backstreets between Westminster and Victoria

Refreshment wise, I had to turn down so many gems.   Princess Louise, Cittie of Yorke, Red Lion, Museum Tavern and the Lamb and Flag all have a special place in my heart.

Instead, it was two new ticks from the 2019 Good Beer Guide, which will both be filed under functional.

The Crown, Brewer Street, Brew York X-Panda

I thought I had completed the Good Beer Guide Pubs of Soho.   I can only assume this a new entry since 2016.  This really is the hobby that keeps on giving.   I will never be finished.

The Crown, Brewer Street
A functional Nicholson's Pub
A more corporate Nicholson's pub you could not hope to find.   This is the sort of place that you know the menu before looking at it.

Beer wise, I was surprised to see only three real ales on but this was increased to five by the time I left.

The Brew York X-Panda Pale Ale was in worthy enough condition to justify Camra's praise.

Crown, Brewer Street
Pale Ale
No complaints but if it wasn't for the blog, I'd never recall the visit in the future.

The Speaker, Great Peter Street, Timothy Taylor Landlord.

This quiet boozer in the backstreets of Westminster provided both more interest and at £4.90, the cheapest pint of the day.   Change from a fiver!

And it was the Guvnor of all beers at that.

The Speaker, Great Portland Street
TT Landlord and 10p back
There's a wee information board (where the lady is leaning on the photo) and I had a recording of it to tell you the history and association with politics.   Alas, that is lost.  WhatPub tell me it was built in 1729.

The Speaker, Great Peter Street
Formerly, the Elephant and Castle
What was found on a Saturday afternoon... peace and quiet, a couple discussing brexit and toilets up a perilous staircase.

Backup camera to be taken on future walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment