Saturday 15 December 2018

15/12/18 - From Timberhonger to a Micropub

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine, August 2016, Walk 7
Good Beer Guide Ticks - 351, 352


The best thing about being a rubbish Geocacher is that when you repeat previously walked tracks, you have the chance of more finds.   This walk from Country Walking Magazine shares paths with a 30 cache trail that I walked 4 years ago.   3 previous fails are rectified.  I must be getting better.

I start from Bromsgrove - a town that has four unticked Good Beer Guide Ticks to explore at the end.  I spend most of the ramble thinking which one will get the Mappiman dollar.  It takes my mind of the frankly terrible weather.

A section on the Monarch's Way leads to a Travel Bug Hotel - which you could really call a tupperware pot, as it has no Travel Bugs present.  I add one, so at least it is doing what it says on the tin.

Monarch's Way, Bromsgrove
The Monarch's Way - near to the M5 and the Holiday Inn
TB Hotel
A TB Hotel Needs TBs.

The weather really doesn't help the photos but fortunately, the ground is good, the stiles are manageable and the livestock are friendly.   On a summer's day, I know there are better views to be had.

Views across the Murk
Worcestershire Views
Trig Point
Trig Point over Timberhonger
Timberhonger, a village name that always makes me laugh, demonstrates a nice line in Countryside Passive Aggression.   Big brother is indeed watching.

Countryside Passive Agression
I don't know where the Cameras are - but I looked
Two things made me smile about this.   1)  They went to the trouble of making a sign, but didn't clean up the offending cans and 2)  Carling Black Label is that rubbish, that one of the cans was unopened.

Carling Louts
Lager Louts
Over the M5, where some sort of automobile drama is taking place and past the medieval manor house of Grafton before my first approach into Bromsgrove from the excellently named Breakback Hill.

M5 Drama
M5 Drama
Grafton Manor
Grafton House

View over Bromsgrove
Dropping back into Bromsgrove
So, I've made up my mind on post walk refreshment.   Its 11:45am when I hit the town and a long time since I breakfasted on pikelets.

I'm going to break a vow made to myself when Tim banned dogs and have an Full English (large, saves money in the long term) with a cup of coffee and then visit the micro pub for a pint to wash it all down with.

Mrs M is not here to say no.

Golden Cross Hotel
I'm going to a JDW
If you wanted to introduce someone to the Wetherspoons experience, you couldn't have asked for a better venue.  Its got the lot.
  1. Architecturally interesting building
  2. Unique Carpets
  3. Packed with AM punters who's whistles can never be whet enough
  4. Only one spare table, that's covered in pint pots and dirty crocks
Fortunately, point 4 is right in front of the fire - so I take ownership - hanging my soaked coat over the chair and making a note of  the table number - with 2 minutes to go before they call time on breakfast orders.

The bar is huge in length, with sporadic pockets of punters.   The staff are beyond inefficient.  The one who is seemingly in charge just walks off, leaving young ladies fixing the ruddles hand pull and another two trying to manage a 40 foot bar.   Old men change position, with the experience of fly fishers who know just how the currents work.

At least in the Airport spoons, they form an orderly queue.

I've been standing, forlorn and hungry for 10 minutes.  I've missed the 12pm curfew but am sure they will take in the circumstances of Ruddles maintenance.  

Then the boss comes back to shout "30 minute wait on food".

I make a hasty retreat to the Micropub.  They must have scratchings.

Little Ale House
The Little Ale House
I am the first punter of the day and they are just setting up.   Importantly, I get the attention that was sadly missing just missing.   The four barrels on offer all explained to me by popularity, brewery location and type of beer.

I settle for a Woodcote Manor Oatmeal Stout.  The gravity fed pour did not do it any favours but it was an interesting enough Stout.

Woodcote Manor Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout - just needs some life
My interest in a previously unheard of brewery, based in Bromsgrove and supplying all the micros in Worcestershire, led to an up-sell. 

I now have three of their beers, in a presentation box, nestling in my garage.   Next to the This, That and T'other from last weeks walk from the Teme Valley Brewery.


No comments:

Post a Comment