Saturday 2 June 2018

02/06/18 - Dropping off a very specific Travel Bug in Warwickshire

Distance - 11 Miles
Geocaches - 42
First Cache
Pub - Kings Head, Aston Cantlow


At the Start of May, I picked up a Travel Bug that had a very specific mission to stay in Warwickshire.  It was part of a complex puzzle that when combined with a number of other TBs, would give the co-ordinates to a mystery puzzle cache.  I'm staggered that 30 people have managed to log the final prize but not surprised that one of them is my caching and twitter buddy, Superted.  I know he likes a challenge.

So, once back from America, I felt that I needed to drop this off straight away so others could find.  A search on Geocaching.com for a suitable trail found a new loop in a place that I've not visited before but sounds like a 1930's dandy.  Aston Cantlow.

And would you believe that the TB and caches are owned by the same CO, HKMHill?

Usual MO for these trails - fact finding in the village to get a multi.  Thank god he publishes a checksum, as I'm always screwing these up.

Aston Cantlow Village Hall
One of the pretty buildings in Aston Cantlow

The only questions to answer are a)  will I meet the other cachers who have signed the logs before me today and b) will I find a box big enough to take this quite chunky TB.

The Warwickshire Bug
The TB
Geocache Size:  Huge
Question B well and truly answered

Typical Warwickshire countryside on route - nothing too grand but the occasional nice view.

Warwickshire Views
View from a cache
Second Loop Views
View on the way to a cache

The walk could easily be split into two loops.  It's just as I am thinking of whether to tackle the second loop that I do bump into the other cachers - just as I am signing a log.  Nothing quite like handing a cache to the next cacher to sign.

Despite dwindling water supplies, I decide to make the most of the day and start the 2nd loop.  Stingers cause the one DNF today.  I'll be interested to see if the others have found it today.

Lovely views, as I come back into the village for much needed refreshment.

Coming Back into Aston Cantlow
Aston Cantlow Below
So, the Kings Head.... A pub made of connecting cottages that has a history stretching back to the rumour that Shakespeare's parents breakfasted there on the day of William's Wedding.

Kings Head, Aston Cantlow
Post Caching Refreshment
Four real ales on and I combine a pint of iced water with a locALE Purity Gold.  Water drank first whilst the Purity settles to a wonderful clear golden pint.  Nice to see a busy pub, with a packed beer garden and a number of diners, some of whom are so delighted with the fayre they tip in notes.  And not even blue ones.

P1020851
Good Looking and Much Deserved
Thanks for another top series Mike...... one day I will be free to come to a Geocaching event launch!


No comments:

Post a Comment