Sunday 13 December 2015

12/12/15 - On Target

Geocaches - 21
First Cache
Distance - 5 Miles
Pub - Green Dragon, Sambourne, Hobsons

The aim of 2015 was to reach 1000 caches.  3 weeks to go in the year, I am stuck on 955 - gainling a princely total of 2 in the month of December.  Something had to change today.

A good look at the geocaching.com map and I find a load of undiscovered caches near Alcester.  Rather fitting that the trail I pick has been placed by Hkmhill.  He is both responsible for my highest amount of finds and for laying three of the best trails completed this year.

He's even arranged the start of this walk to be next to the Pub.

Sambourne Church and Start of the Trail
Start - Next to the Church
Jolly Green Dragon
With handy refreshments promised at the Jolly Green Dragon

Initial job of the day is collect the first of the bonus clues that should provide the co-ords to a mystery.  Well, strictly speaking, I cheated by having a look on Google Maps last night.  Still, always good to check.

Head out into the countryside and start with the trail proper.  As usual, #1 presents a challenge.  Plenty of options, but I don't want to start on a DNF.

Into my rhythm and everything goes fine.  Its typical Warwickshire countryside - decent paths and surprisingly, not too muddy, when you consider that we have had weekly storms so far this Winter.

Terrain
Typical Warwickshire Terrain
I join a growing list of DNF on number 5 and cross over the road at Coughton Court for a long distance path that I recognise.

I am walking the Millennium Way and the trail takes me back on a section.  The caches must have been laid after I completed this leg, otherwise they would have been previously found.

Coughton Court
Path Recognition
Coughton Court
Coughton Court from a Cache GZ

Leave the Millennium Way and head through a tree plantation and fields to get back to Sambourne.  No more DNFs and all the clues for the bonus collected.

Moment of truth, as the mark is entered into my GPS.  Looks good, as its on a footpath and as per the cache instruction, I choose the Indiana Jones route to GZ.

Everyone likes a bonus
Everyone loves a bonus.  Specially when its an Ammo Can.
If my maths is correct, I am now on 976.  That's got to be worth celebrating.

Top Quality Pint
Possibly the best pint of the Year - Hobsons Best

Thanks for another super Trail, Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment