Saturday 4 January 2014

04/01/14 - Les 4 Clint

Distance - 6.1 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Start - Coleshill Parkway
Finish - Marston Green Station

Brummie Ring Phase 8

Brummie Ring Phase 8 at EveryTrail


Happy New Year Blogfans.  Plans have been made but before I get started on new adventures, I've got to finish off what I committed to last year.

The first walk of 2014 will be Phase 8 of the Brummie Ring.  3 to go after this stage.  Despite the remnants of the worst storm of 20 years still hanging around, Sonia wants to come as well.

So we head off for Marston Green Station.  Free parking for rail users, but I have completed my Internet based homework and I know that a single to Coleshill Parkway (5ish miles away) is £7.50.  Each.

We think about getting a Cab, but despite Sonia's iPhone saying there is a cab firm in Station Road, it seems to be well hiddden.

Train it is.  Not to worry, the train change over provides opportunity for a coffee and a sausage sarnie at New Street.

I knew the walking at first would be a bit dodgy.  We have to get out of the business park that has sprung up since the OS Map was produced.  These means that some of the footpaths have disappeared but we do manage to get out to the countryside at the A446 / M42.

Tight Fit
Once squeezed through the checkpoint, all paths are in order
Anyone wanting to follow in our footsteps on the Brummie Ring is going to need to get a wriggle on.  For the first time in my walking career, I have found evidence of how the HS2 rail line will affect footpaths.

HS2 is Coming
Didn't have time to digest it all, but assume its bad news for this path
And these laminated signs are not the only information that is provided on route.  It took me a while to get what the message was, as the L and I were a touch close together.  And either our graffiti artist is a gent or it was Les the Lady doing the vandalism.

Love is...
Love Is - declarations on trees
This section of land is marked as the Belt on the OS Map.  It is sandwiched directly between the M42 and the M6, so the experience of walking the excellent paths is marred by the droning vehicles.

After crossing the M6, and another dual carriageway, we pick up what is marked on the OS Map as the Solihull Way.  It is still marked with the badges of three Long Distance Paths, but the Solihull Way is no longer maintained.

Weird LDP
Strange LDPs
Sandwiched between a dual carriageway and tower blocks, this wins my prize as strangest LDP found. 

I drop down the bank for my first cache of 2014 whilst Sonia uses Google Maps to determine when she can expect to get out of the rain.  Back up the bank and along the roads to the Cole Bank Nature Reserve.

Into the Nature Reserve
Cache 2 just the other side of this fence.
During the plotting of the walk last night, I knew that a section would be alongside the River Cole. 

River Cole doesn't know where to end
Yesterday's Fears Confirmed
Normally, it would have been fine walking.  Today, its a slosh pit.  I am OK as my boots are watertight and I have gaiters.  At time of writing, Sonia has neither but I am taking her to Go Outdoors tomorrow.  Its amazing how high she can get mud up the inside of her legs.  She insists its because she is closer to the ground.

A couple of enforced detours because of the conditions, but we more or less follow the planned route along Kinghurst Brook, finding Chelmsley Wood and a last couple of caches.

Youths with chips pass us and Sonia, who didn't want sausage based snacks on the train, is reminded of her hunger.

There is a cafe at Marston Green Station.  Closed on a Saturday.  We head into the small town and the only pub available.

Pub
44, Great Big Menu and she orders a Fish Finger Sandwich

1 comment:

  1. Those kind of notices are written in incomprehensible leagalese (on purpose I suspect).

    ReplyDelete