Saturday 23 November 2013

23/11/13 - A response to the Daily Mail

Geocaches - 19
First Cache
Distance - 4.9 Miles

CBA Cache Round



For 20 years my friends have taken the mickey out of me for reading the Daily Mail.  I have defended its narrow mindedness and little Britain mentality by claiming that it always gives you an article that you can use to generate conversation.

Yesterday's paper had such an article.  A complete character assassination on the world's fastest growing past time, Geocaching.  The on-line link does not do justice to the level of vitriol that was contained in the printed edition.  Phrases like "on private land", "geocaches that are buried" and a little side bar with facts, such as four fatalities and the heinous act of having closed down Disney World.  The whole piece suggested something illegal.

I was that vexed I took to twitter to vent my spleen at the journalist but couldn't quite get across what I wanted to say in 140 characters.

So today, there is nothing else for it.  In protest, I am going caching.  And I bought the Times.

There is a new round at Broughton Hackett, near where I have been recently walking on the Millennium Way.  I decide to take a repeat of some paths in the aim of getting some smileys.

And I am so glad that I did.  This is the best round I have done this year.  The caches are all a challenge and the walking is tip top.

Start up at the layby and make my way down the path to March Hare Leisure facility.  I am not going to say too much about the individual caches.... maybe a comment on the handful of DNFs..  and the more unique ones.

Which is certainly the case with number 2.  3254 previous finds and occasionally, I get one that is a new concept.  Laughing with frozen fingers as I signed the log.

The one good thing about walking early in the morning is watching the day change before your eyes.  Quickly went from frost and mist to a glorious day, with beautiful skies.

Cold Start
The Labradoodle can sniff them out.
I get a break from the trail to find an offset multi at Churchill Church.  This is a nice idea, getting cachers to enter the church for the information required to get the cache.  Wonderful.

Churchill.  Church.
Rare that I have to venture inside for a smiley.
My caching senses are in tune, but I think I have taken it too far, when I think I have spotted a couple.

P1030946
If they're not on your GPS, they are not there

#7 is my first DNF.  I am sure that I am in the right area, but I am balanced on a plank in the middle of a mudpit.  The dog has to be on the lead cause of the sheep and I look at her, forlornly stood knee deep in the mud.  Its not fair to keep her there.  So I tie her up on a fence and come back for another look.  Still no joy!

#11 is simply genius.  I didn't think I would have a hope in hell when I saw some of the local geocaching royalty who had recorded a DNF.  But something looked not quite right and there is was.  Good job I have a load of favs to dish out.  Chickowee, I salute you.

The sun is starting to peep.

Break on Through
Come on Sun - you know you want to
#15.  What can I say?  There is a decoy, which the logs allude to.  There are also a gang of kids brushing the horse in the field.  I think I am tucked enough away for a good hunt, but when I emerge over the barrier unsuccesful, I have an audience.  Three kids and a horse gawping at me.

Run off before the Mail have another story and fail on #16 as well.

From this point one, I clear the rest.  The day has turned glorious.

Gorgeous
I do like this hill.  Seen it many times on the Millennium Way
As we count down to number 24, I realise that I haven't found the co-ords for the bonus.  I reckon it was in 15 :-)

Get to 24 and I do have an audience to cheer my brave solo attempt.

My fans salute my brave attempt
Good Solo Attempt, Mappiman
2.5 hours out in the beautiful British countryside.  Fresh air, history and exercise. 

Come on Daily Mail, just what is there that is causing you so much worry?

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    did this series a couple of weeks ago. A great series I too managed to record DNF on 15 and 16, but managed to return yesterday, after attending the Dr Who event nearby, and added the two smilies to complete the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - 15 was particulary vexing and I would love to knoe which one has the bonus. I am often passing the area, as I am completing the Millennium Way as a series of 44 circular walks. I'm not too proud to take a hint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mappiman - only just read this as I did the series at the weekend (and DNF'd #15). The bonus co-rods are "towards the end of the series" and you need to look at everything in each cache container, it's not on the log book or stuck to the container! We found it a bit by accident! Get in touch if you want a bigger hint!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rosie - Just checked the Stats on 15 - looks like I am still in very good company :-)

    ReplyDelete