Thursday 13 June 2013

11/06/13 - Mappiman in Mapledurwell

Distance - 3.5 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Walk From


I find myself leaving Hampshire at 17:45 and needing to get to Hatfield for an 8am start tomorrow.  I know the M25 is going to be a nightmare at this time of day, so I have come prepared with a small walk to break up the journey and to give me a clear nocturnal run at my favourite motorway.

The walk is looking good.  Parking is at a pub, and I will check it out for post walk refreshment.

DSC02411
Not a bad place to start

Mapledurwell is tiny.  I'll try to tell you something interesting about it - it means Maple Tree Spring in old English.  And I needed to use Wikipedia to find that out.

DSC02415
Maple Tree Spring
Out the pub car park and down the roads.  The church is the only architectural thing of interest, with an interesting wooden roof.

DSC02413
Building of Interest
DSC02414
From the Churchyard

The footpath takes me past it and a bit of limbo dancing under a fence and I am out on the Tunworth Road.  Not much to report.

Then I am into fields.  Even less to report, although it does set my hayfever off.


DSC02416
DSC02418
Nice Views - No photos of Mappimn, he is snot bound
The two geocaches appear on the footpath to Five Lanes End.  This breaks up the walking and sneezing a little.  They are part of a massive series - but only two are on my route.

Five Lanes End is where five lanes all meet up.  I need to pick up the right lane to take me back to the village.

Having used the Game Keepers arms car park, I think its only fair that I should go in an use the facilities.  I was all up for eating here but on entering and seeing all the tablecloths and wine glasses, I can tell its too posh for a weary traveller that wants a real ale and a packet of scratchings.

I find alternative refreshments more suited for a man in mud splattered walking shoes.  The chef and brewer up the road.

And the M25 at 8pm?  I sailed around.

No comments:

Post a Comment