Saturday 8 December 2012

08/12/12 - The Pope's Hole

Distance - 6.6 Miles
Caches - 2
Walk From - Village Walks in Worcestershire
Sometimes you cannot help but be in a good mood.  Today, I haven't travelled far, I haven't found many caches and although I found a new pub, it was too early to determine why its in the good pub guide.  But when you find a fantastic and previously undiscovered walk and the sun is shining, you cannot help but smile.

This is all of an 8 minute drive away.

Park up outside the world class butcher (they accept credit cards) and pick up the Wychavon Way, walking east into the low sun.  Cross the A449 and then have great paths, with stunning views to the Malverns and Abberley.

Views
Good to be out.

We are on a mission to find the Pope's Hole. Its only just down from his home.  We cross the A4133, and have a little bit of road walking.  I know how dangerous this road is, but have checked on Google Maps that there is a path so that I can do this in safety.

We cross over and take a lane adorned with black and white cottages, which soon turns into a track.... and there at the bottom is Pope's Hole Farm.  You can imagine it.... built 100s of years ago, taking time and effort and when they finish it, they have to come up with a moniker.  "I've got it" says the Farmer, "I've always admired the papal ring and I'll name it after that".

We have some squidgy fields to cross, but again, the views are stunning.  We are close to Westwood House - an impressive 17th Century hunting lodge that has now been converted to flats.  You could own a bit of this, if you fancy.

Who lives in a house like this - loads of people
I have a decision to make.  The route from the book does not take me past any caches but there is one in Nunnery Wood.  Can I go a whole weekend without finding tupperware?

Cache Finder
That'll be a no then.

I don't fancy retracing my steps thought he mud and water, so I head into the woods. Not wholly sure whether this a right of way or not, but the cache owner has detailed that the shooting is next weekend, so I feel safe in doing so. Emerge out the otherside back on the planned path and there is a sign warning horse riders of potential shooting (noise, not for trespassing), so feel that no laws were broken in my attempt to keep the smileys up.

Work my way past Young's farm and some old mills and the can see another cache on the map, which can easily be detoured for.  As I get to Dean's Wood Pools, I stumble across a farmer who has stuck his tractor in mud.  He has called his mate, who has got his land rover stuck in mud.  His mate has roped his winch to a tree and is attempting to pull both of them out.

I would have took a photo, but they already looked angry enough.  It was quite funny hearing Darren being scolded in a Worcestershre country accent.

Pass this scene of rural bliss and head around to the pools.  Water is still, skies are blue - photo opp.

Dean's Wood Pool
Very Nice
I find the cache and drop off a TB and then pick up my planned route, which takes me to the Laurels (no resting) near Oldfield and then over the dual carriageway to the Reindeer pub.
The road down here is single track and a fair amount of traffic.  What was surprising is there is another pub just down here called the Fruiterer's Arms.  I never knew that and I wonder how they can possibly be in business, as they are so far off the beaten track.  All is revealed, when we discover the landlord has built a caravan park in the grounds.  A captive audience of thirsty black country folk.
Just a case now of swinging south and walking towards the steeple if the church.
I love it when I find walks like this on my doorstep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment