Thursday 17 May 2012

17/5/12 – The Wall

Distance – 8 Miles
Walk from - Printed from the web
Geocaches – 6
Onward Journey – 116 Miles
Listening to….
…. American Recordings VI (Thats the set, in order.  Johnny is dead now, so no more)
…. Radio 6 (Mark Radcliffe in fine form – Tuneage)

Last Night
A night of lows and highs.  Low – another shared bathroom experience…. High – I have it all to myself, as I am the only punter.  Yeah.  The tap and stile is a fine real ale pub and I could thing of worse places to call home.  Slightly suspicious of the parking the arrangements – I am advised to leave it in a Loading bay, with the proviso that “we dont have traffic wardens in Hexham”.  This may be true, as the geomotor was unticketed in the morning.

Hexham is an impressive medieval walled town, so I have a look around.  Which basically means going to pubs.  I do 3 – Wetherspoons (Converted Cinema) for a cheap tea and a couple of exceptionally good pints. I may not slag them off again.  Then move on to the Globe, which is a locals pub for locals.  Don’t stay long.  Head back to the Tap, where I can have delicious Doom Bar and Brains SA, whilst using the Wifi in the bar area to maintain contact with humanity.

The Walk

Hadrians Wall



Today was a visit to Hadrian’s Wall.  I had researched and one of the best sections is at Housesteads.  This is a 16 mile drive out of Hexham along our long straight rollercoaster of a road. 

Incredible driving.

Weather is ropey today, so raincoat on and out into the wilds.  The place is a wilderness, with far reaching views.  I couldn’t quite tell whether i was meant to pay to enter or not.  There was a sign with pricing on, but as I am on public footpaths, I don’t feel I should be paying.  I only have £5 of the required £6 on me.  So I avoid anyone that looks in charge.

A short climb through the sheep fields and then we are at the Wall.  This does exactly what it says on the Tin, but I doubt that it can be spotted from Space.

P1000751
Over the Wall

I am heading west, either on the south, north or at points on, the Wall.  Three easy caches along the way.  One of them looked suspiciously like the container that was last find on Friday in the Lakes.  I bet its the same owner.

Walking highlight is Crag Lough.  Its a crag.  With a body of water at the bottom and some trees.

P1000754
Best View of the Day

At Peel Crags, there is a party of American School kids climbing up from the opposite direction. 

The teachers think I am the most courteous hill walker they have met.  In reality, I am looking for a cache, which takes me an awful long time.

Drop down here and its lane walking south, then eastbound, to take in the Roman fort of Vindolanda.  You can see  it over a (not the) wall and I would have taken a photo, but there is a team of archaeologists who are all mad at work with their tiny trowels.  No doubt trying to tell an entire civilisation from the remains of an old sandal.

Last cache on the inside of an old limekiln and then back to the car.

The Journey
My week of splendid isolation comes an end, as Sonia has successfully navigated British Rail’s complex fare system to find a way to get to Skipton.  This means a nice drive to Carlisle, down the
M6 and then through North Yorkshire, driving through Ingleton amongst other places.  Can see the hills that I may be climbing tomorrow.

Get a text from Sonia giving me the postcode of a cake shop. 

And blog fans, you may chastise me for blogging when I should be talking to my wife.  Don’t worry, she’s sleeping off her cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment