Saturday 12 May 2012

12/5/12 - Into the Valley

Distance - 6.06 Miles
Walk From - Lowland walks in the Lake District
Geocaches - 3

Onward Journey Miles - 173
Listening to....
.... Unchained, Johnny Cash (album contains "I've been everywhere")
.... Marry Me, St Vincent (She looked quite good on last weeks Jools Holland)
.... The best of the Who (Needed to singalong to something)

Last Night
Queens Hotel was fine.... old and rambling but with a nice room and stunning views from my window.  A tour of Keswicks many pubs, which were all packed, and a chipper dinner - eaten in the street like a teenager/tramp/student.  Delete as applicable.  Must have been tired, as I was in bed before the end of "Not Going Out".

Today's Walk


Its a beautiful day today.  I know this, as I have an east facing room and the curtains don't quite fit.  Pre breakfast cache, buy the times and then head for an FEB.  The greatest three letters in the English alphabet.

I'm going to be controversial today.  Walking the lowlands is better than the peaks.

After nearly meeting my doom in peat bogs, getting snowed on and waking up with aches in places I didn't know I had muscles, I have much preferred todays gentle ramble along the newlands valley.  The peaks look just as good from down below.

Park up at a handy place for Cat Bells - but I'm not hill climbing today.

Stuff your hills, I am a Giant.
Instead, I head out for a farm called Skelgill.  I can see all the dots of hill walkers on all the ridges, but I am happy with my view down below.

Heroic Pose - ManKneery at its finest
I'm following a decent path along the valley floor for around 3 miles until I get to some disused lead mines, and cross the bridge to walk back on the other side of the stream.

Crossing over to the other side
The journey back is only broken up by two items of interest.  The second cache of the day is at a lovely looking church and school house.

Preyed to the god of caching
And then at the gloriously named Little Town (does exactly what it says on the tin), we have a farmhouse that is offering refreshments.  Sonia would have been made up.
Walking is not all misery
Stunning views in both directions on the way back.

Views Behind
View Infront
Soon back at the car and decide to add in a loop to drop me off at Derwent Water for a last cache.  Glad that I did, as the views were extraordinary.

Why I cache
Onward Journey
Up to Loch Lomond in 2.5 hours, but I didn't expect to be driving through the centre of Glasgow.  The overhead signs are warning of heavy raid for tomorrow.  I fear the worst for my walking.  Park up at the Lomond Park Hotel, admiring the shared bathroom facilities.  There's already been a fight in the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment