Sunday 29 April 2012

29/4/12 - Close to the Edge

Distance - 3.4 Miles
Geocaches - 9/9
Weather - Biblical
Walks from Staffordshire Walks - Les Lumsdon

Kinver Caching



No photos today, the weather was that shocking that I didnt want to take another electrical device out with and I am sure that I have enough photos of me and the geohound looking like drowned rats.  What on earth is going on with our weather?  Hosepipe bans, droughts and the wettest April since time began.

As we had a busy and enjoyable day in Birmingham, this weekend's walk had to be delayed till the Sunday.  I knew the weather would be lousy, so goretexed up for a local round of caches in Kinver.

Kinver has some stunning walking and has been visited many times before.  Some new caches have been laid and there is a chance to have a second go at a previous DNF.  Start in the high street, where they have taken traffic calming to a new level and walk up the back of the vicarage and library, past the scout camp and pick up the first cache of the day at the roadside.

Head up Sandy lane and then cut through onto the Edge for stiff uphill climb, taking in two more caches. 

Great thing about storms is that it means there are few muggles around.

It actually stops raining for a time and there are great views in all directions as we walk along the ridge path.  Another one in a tree at the edge of the old fort.

Then I have a second go at Poison Ivy, which I last attempted on 02/08/09.  Nearly three years ago.  Where does the time go.  I remember Sonia getting very bored with my previous attempt where I was looking in completely the wrong location.  Sat Navs must have improved with time, as it was quite straigtforward.

A clamber back onto the Staffordshire way and when I get to the next GZ, there are two fellas hanging around.  Not sure whether they are caching as well, but when i do a loop to get the cache, it has been initialled by AWC today.  Could well be All Weather Cacher and if so, a name has never been more apt.

Two more caches on the way back to the road... both cheeky micros.  I am surprised at the amount of caches found on a short round of previously walked paths.  I get thinking and if I have done my maths correctly, I have unexpectedly hit the 2000 caches marks.....  Now, why didn't I bring my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment