Wednesday 8 July 2020

08/08/20 - Geocaching at Combe Martin

Distance - 6 miles
Geocaches - 43
First Geocache

If you have a plan, you have to stick with it... regardless of the weather.  I had a cache trail setup on the GPS from Combe Martin.  One look at the window and it became obvious that this would be a solo outing.... biblical rain, teeming in over the hills.

Guide Dog Abi and Mrs M decide to stay in, watching Good Morning Britain and researching "Best Devon Cream Teas" for this afternoons entertainment.

I head off - albeit without my good camera - grabbing one of the few road side parking spots on the way into Combe Martin.

Not going to do war and peace on the blog - I have a lot of logging to do - but the highlights..
  • Kevham is one of the best CO I have found for some time.  The caches are all handmade, raising a smile and well maintained.   Thank you so much - if you read this and let me know which pub you drink in, I'll leave you a pint behind the bar - assuming a) I visit it and b) it is open.
  • The walk takes me over the highest point of the South West Coast Path - on Hangmans Hill.
  • Of course, this was in the clouds.  All I can tell you is that it has a giant cairn on the top.
  • Goretex does not work.   I am soaked through to my non goretex pants
  • Its hard to cache when there is steam and water droplets on your glasses
  • In this part of Devon, when you are not going up, you are going down
Here are the few photos from today.

Combe Martin
Combe Martin Beach - no one there ay 8am in the rain
Little Hangman Hill
Little Hangman - Big Hangman was in the clouds
Combe Martin Church
Combe Martin Church - near the end of the round

Home, showered and dry and I think I have just enough time to log my caches before heading to May Cottage Tea Rooms, Croyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment