Monday 9 December 2019

09/12/2019 - Soho's Coach and Horses Lives!

Three pubs and none in the Good Beer Guide. My work will never be done, if I get distracted.

I blame a new Twitter resource - @BeerGuideLondon.   A couple of weeks ago, they'd reported on some fine continental imbibing places in the Smoke.   Notes duly made for a future visit.

Mayfair Mercato, North Audley Street

I'm simply a sucker for drinking in places with great architecture.

Mayfair Mercato
Take that JDW
I'm not exactly sure what Mayfair Mercato is but the link may help.   It would appear to be a bit like Manchester's Mackie Mayor's, based on the descriptions provided by my daughter. On two floors, there is a collection of independent eateries - three if you include the cellar hosted cheese emporium. Once again begging the question why I do my research after a visit.

At the top end, where the altar should be, is a bar hosted by German Kraft Beer. Paper money can be exchanged for an earthenware pot of 0.4l German brew.

Unique.

De Hems, Macclesfield Street

All roads lead to Soho, where previously I have visited a French themed pub and can now add a Dutch one. De Hems is London's only authentic Dutch pub. I know this, as the food menu leads with Fish and Chips. But eating is cheating anyway.

De Hems, Soho
De Hems, with the bunting
I'm here for the beer and there's some choice but I don't get past the pink elephant of Delirium, especially when its a Xmas Ale on offer.

Wonderful.

De Hems, Soho
One to add to the "Must Visit"
Coach and Horses, Romilly Street

I'm obsessed with this place and honestly felt that I had said a tearful farewell to it, when I signed the petition to stop Fullers from offloading the previous landlord back in May '19. 

Seven months have passed since then and I feared the worst. Would gentrification from an organisation concentrating on real estate rather than real ale have occurred? Worse still, would they have ripped out the classic bar backboard without giving me a chance to fit it in my dining room?

London Pride
Hell no - almost exactly the same!
I expressed my delight to the staff who said the only change was an improvement to the toilets. This needed checking and I can confirm that they have removed the "Smash the Cistern" sticker from roof mounted flush.

I'm not saying it is safe - and just in case, as I had the place more or less to myself at closing, I took what could be a final memento.

No comments:

Post a Comment