Monday 18 February 2019

18/02/19 - Discovering more Dublin Pubs

Three years after my last visit, I have about 72 hours in Dublin, with at least 8 of them that can be allocated to pleasure.

Building on my previous crawl, I've used the Internet to find additional recommendations. 

I'm not going to argue with the comprehensive suggestions here - even if I only did a handful.

There's also no point detailing what was purchased.   You can guess and I'm still dreaming of the gentle noise of the tap hiss, the silence of the build and the top up.

Jack Nealons, Capel Street


Jack Nealons
Always loved the way they're named
Still getting my bearings, as I make my way from Parnell Street to the night life.   This is an authentic introduction to the potential of drinking in Dublin.   It's a finely preserved Georgian building and has been a pub since 1905, when they were made with beauty in mind.   The plan was to make an environment nicer than your home to come and drink in. 

Jack Nealons
Low lighting and lots of wood
As well as not having my Dublin directional bearings, I haven't got my atmospheric bearing in tune. Three days after my visit, I still cannot tell if the locals were about to fight the Germans or kiss them.  There was a lot of aggressive high fiving, man hugging followed by a 10 minute demonstration of Dublin shadow boxing to a non plussed Teuton. 

I was on edge.   I left before I inadvertently got involved.

The Long Hall, Georges Street

Here's an absolute must visit of a pub.   Licenced since 1766 and now with its Victorian Splendour, following its recent internal refit in 1881.

When its this good, there's no need for modification.

The Long Hall
Victorian Drinking at its finest
The Long Hall
In, for the Long Hall

If there hadn't have been 22 other recommendations on the guide, I would have spent the rest of the evening perched on my high stool, leaning against the snob bar divide and watching the joy on the other other tourists faces as they entered through the front door.

Alas, there is more work to do.

Cassidy's, West Moreland Street, La Chouffe

Don't try and follow this crawl in order.   I'm only detailing the highlights and new visits on this blog.

I was in high spirits on my 2nd night, having just celebrated the Albion's 94th minute winner in a bar full of Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Lyon and Barcelona fans that all watched goalless drudgery.   In a massive pub with 50+ screens, there was one TV dedicated to the Championship.   Europeans have never seen boinging before.   They looked perplexed.

After such drama, I wanted a proper drinking den, swathed in atmospheric low lighting and selling unusual Belgian beers on draught.

Cassidy's was just this place and apparently famous for Bill Clinton's visit in 1995.   Birmingham has a pub by the canal with a similar claim to fame.

Iggy Pop's Lust for Life came on the jukebox.

It really couldn't have been more perfect.

Cassidy's
Cassidys - Handy for the Tram
Cassidy's
Here comes Johnny Yen Again....


John Kehoes, South Anne Street

No offence to the other establishments, but I am saving the best to the last in this blog.

What a find John Kehoes is.   Licenced since 1803 and described as a "Country Pub in the Heart of the City".

Better photos than mine can be found on their website.

John Kehoes
Looking Good from the Outside
There's plenty to discover inside.   Take your pick from a partitioned ground floor, where there's plenty of nooks and crannie to hide away in or a beautifully ornate to sit at.  Alterntaively, head upstairs for the neon advertised lounge and roof top smoking terrace.

John Kehoes
Lengthy enough bar to sit out without causing obstruction
John Kehoes
One of the many nooks and crannies to hide away in

This is one of those timeless places - both in terms of its unchanging history and the way that time has no meaning whilst you're sat in there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment