Sunday 23 December 2018

23/12/18 - Walter de Cantelupe, Kempsey

Distance - 5.25
Geocaches - 8
Walk Inspiration - Village Walks in Worcestershire, Walk 14
Good Beer Guide Tick - 355


Kempsey lays claim to being the oldest village in Worcestershire.  It's named after a Saxon chieftain, Kemsys and there are links to every era of man, from the Iron Age, through the Celts, Romans, Normans and playing its part in the English Civil War.

For a small, yet expanding village,  it's surprisingly well served by pubs.   There are four pubs along the A38 and if you include Huntsman Inn on the other side of the M5, two 2019 CAMRA Good beer Guide Entries.

Of course, the Walter de Cantelupe Inn is one of these and marks the starts of toady's little ramble.  We'll come back to this but I will first answer the question as to who Walter was.   A C13th Bishop of Worcester.

Walter de Cantelupe Inn
Today's Post Walk Refreshement
I start by taking Squires Walk, heading west to the Church and the River Severn.   There's a ford there, with signs that are showing that you shouldn't attempt to cross when in flood.   I wait for 10 minutes to see if I can get some drama on my blog.  I'm hoping a Christmas delivery driver will be blindly following sat nav and ignoring the current 5ft levels.

It didn't happen, so you will need to use your imagination.

Fortunately, for ramblers, there is a little footbridge.

Ford at Kempsey Church
The red car refused the challenge.
Kempsey Church
Kempsey Church

The church provides access to the River Severn, which is threatening to spill over into Hams flood land.   There's mud and monster puddles to navigate but I'm sure it can get much worse.

River Severn
High water levels at the Hams
At Oak Farm, I head inland to pass an Elizabethan Manor House, the Nash.  Privately owned and available for wedding bookings.  Under the M5 and onto Kempsey Common, where you're free to walk where you want.   According to the guide book, I need to aim for the Farmers Arms at Napleton.  This closed in 2006 but I cannot tell whether this was because its at far end of a cul-de-sac with no passing trade or because it sold John Smiths.

Views over the Malverns from Kempsey Common
Views over to the Malverns from Kempsey Common
Lanes bring me back to Kempsey, with a footpath (temporarily?) blocked where David Wilson is building his new homes.  This village expansion should be good news, to ensure the remaining pubs don't meet the same fate as the Farmers Arms.

Onto the post walk refreshment.   I was already looking forward to my visit before I determined it's a multi award winning establishment.

Good Beer Guide and Good Cheese Guide
CAMRA Good Beer and British Cheese Board Recommended
Its a free house.  On today's visit there were three real ales available.   I'm in a position similar to that when my daughter asks me every year - "Who is your favourite child, dad?".   She's a 24 year old millennial.  As usual, I'll see what presents I get before answering.

The choice;

My local is a Wye Valley tied house, and I'm a big fan of their ales.

I once travelled overnight to Bishops Castle for the sole reason of visiting the Three Tuns brewery.  well, I say sole reason - in truth, there's two breweries and half a dozen pubs - which makes for a fine pub crawl. 

However, it had to be my favourite.

Heaven in the Walter de Cantelupe Inn
Timothy Taylor Landlord, in front of an open fire
As if things needed improvement, I hear Fairy Tale of New York for the first time this Xmas.   I am that happy that I update my facebook status with the above photo and the caption "Xmas has peaked".

You'd be surprised at how many people got upset by this innocent post.   Especially my in-laws, whom I am having Xmas Lunch with.

My explanation that "just because its peaked, it doesn't mean it can't get even better" has so far met with zero likes.


No comments:

Post a Comment