Saturday 31 March 2018

31/03/18 - Warwickshire Cakes and Ales - Alcester to Henley in Arden

Start - Alcester
Finish - Henley in Arden
Distance - 14 Miles
Geocaches - 8
Walk Inspiration - Warwickshire Cakes and Ales Guide Book
Previous Stages - 1) Stratford to Shipston, 2) Stratford to Alcester


Yesterday saw me arrive in Alcester, 14 miles after leaving Stratford.  I battled my way into the Travelodge just as the heavens opened and they didn't stop all night.

This left me with these conditions for day 2 of my hiking training mission.

Alcester Under Water
Bridges are meant to go over water
I'm not going to sugar coat it.  It's grim.

Alcester's night life was explored last night - and that's something worthy of a pubby blog - and I get chance to say my farewells, crossing the River Arrow and grabbing a couple of micro caches.   The ancient houses of Malt Mill Lane, a highlight as always.

Malt Mill Lane, Alcester
Malt Mill Lane
It's a circuitous route along the mudbath that is the Heart of England Way to Coughton Court.  Conditions terrible, views grey.  I know how the beasts of the field feel in the British Springtime.

General Bleakness
Heart of England Way
Know how you feel mate
Feeling your pain, my bovine chum

The River Arrow is followed to the Arden Way - which takes me all the way back to Henley.  Its slow going but I meet a couple of pensioner aged gents coming in the other direction.   Taking me for a fellow fool, we get talking about Long Distance Walking.   They are members of the Heart of England Long Distance Walkers Association and try to convince me that walking 100 miles non stop over two days is a thing of beauty.

Talk about picking your moments :-)

I am tempted at some of their other more entry level walks and will have a good look at their event programme.

Rive Arrow
Snaky River Arrow
Up to the marketing centre at Studley, which is having a major make over that results in footpath diversions but onwards along on the Arden Way.

Legs aching, feet sore - there's been nowhere to stop until I reach Ullenhall after 11 miles.   The last time I was here, it was a dry village with a closed pub but behold, just for me and my failing lower limbs, The Winged Spur is reborn.

Worth a break for hot soup, beer and football.

Winged Spur, Ullenhall
Winged Spur - Reborn
Purity Pure Gold
Purity Pure Gold - No-one wants to see Tomato and Basil Soup

I asked a local at the church if the pub had re-opened and he exclaimed its virtues and popularity.  My comments about wondering why it was closed in the first place were met with two words. 

Enterprise Inns.

Just 30 minutes was enough for me to be suitably refreshed enough to consider putting my waterproofs back on.

I've got little to say about the rest of the walk to Henley.   Apart from the fact it was mercifully short.

So, two days on the trail covering 28 miles as a training mission for a full week of Yorkshire Moors walking has been an experience.  I've had the worst conditions that Spring can throw at me - so equipment and resilience tested to the full.  But has it put me off going?

I've got a week to decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment