Tuesday 6 March 2018

06/03/18 - The Good Beer Guide Pubs of West Bromwich

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Pubs - 5
Geocaches - 2


I'm not sure what is the biggest surprise.  West Bromwich having a grand total of 5 entries in the Good Beer Guide or actually how big West Bromwich is.

Route
From A to E on Shanks, Tram and Bus
Still, I am armed with youthful vigour, google maps and a plus bus ticket that gives me as many goes on the tram as I want.

As a Baggies fan, pub number 1 needs no introduction.

The Vine, 152 Roebuck Street, Bath Ales Prophecy


The Vine
The Vine - Traditional, yet tarids-like
However, the same problems getting in remain.  On match days, it impossible to get in the door (regardless of how cavernous it is).  Midweek, you need to check your opening times.

Vine Opening Hours
Should have checked before leaving
Nothing says Alcoholic Tramp more than a man standing outside a back street boozer, desperate for the slide of the bolt.   The upside is I have the place to myself when it does open.  I can explore the extension on extension, moving from back street boozer, to almost outdoor conservatory to bolt on BBQ Grill restaurant before settling with a very decent Bath Ales pint in the front room snug. 

Bath Ales Prophecy
Bath Ales Prophecy
There's nothing to do but wait for my lamb jalfrezi to be delivered (need travelling strength) and admire how good the locals are at parking.

Parking
Parking not seen this side of Rome
The Old Hop Pole, 474 High Street, Wye Valley HPA

The tram whisks me off to where, as a Baggies Fan, I really should have been having my pre-match pint.   I admit, I checked Google Street View before leaving and had slight reservations but one thing ticking from the bible has taught me is never judge a book by its cover.

The Old Hop Pole
Why I convinced Mrs M tonight's adventure was not for her
It's simply perfect inside - and not just the colour scheme.  Central bar with multiple small rooms, with one having a traditional coal fired hearth, where I am told you can roast your chestnuts at xmas.

Baggies and Beer
Perfect Furnishings
Wye Valley HPA
Cracking Pint

I do have a complaint.   I start in the bar, where the TV is blaring Bradley Walsh on the Chase.  I come out the house to the pub to avoid Bradley Walsh on the Chase.   I manoeuvre myself to the side room around the back.   Another TV.  Same Bradley Walsh.

A theme develops in West Bromwich.  Boozers cannot sit in quiet contemplation.

The Crown and Cushion, 2 Lloyd Street, Castle Rock Harvest Pale

No easy public transport, so set off for a 1.3 mile walk that takes in light industrial units, a pub that even I wouldn't be brave enough to set foot in (I would tell you its name but the only letters that remain are "TH_  _LD _______") and a huge Tescos.

I arrive at the C&C and feel there must be a mistake.   A mock tudor estate pub that must have "Sizzling" adorned somewhere on the signage.

Crown and Cushion
Best Photo I have... doesn't show the mock tudor beams
It's brightly lit, revealing my foolish attempts to get in the wrong door to all inside.  But who is inside?  Some ladies discussing the best deal on Jaegar Bombs in the West Midlands, a primary school girl sat at the bar with her tablet and a few solo men staring into pints.  Commercial radio is blaring.

I admit to thinking I have misplanned but all is revealed when I take my sip of my £2.90 Castle Rock Harvest Pale.   Nearly pint of the night.

Tonight is an education, if nothing else.

Google maps tells me the 40 bus is 1 minute early, so I am in and out in rather a rapid fashion.

The Royal Oak, 14 Newtown Street, Timothy Taylor Landlord

Oh, how I love Google Maps.   Plot in public transport and it keeps you informed of how many stops before you need to alight.   No longer the fear of getting off a stop too early and having to walk alongside a bus stuck in traffic to the next stop, while the driver and all his passengers gently flick you the V's.

Down a side street and the Royal Oak reveals itself in its perfect pubby form.

Royal Oak
The Good Beer Guide, cooking on Gas
Two room, with more baggies memorabilia - the lounge has more punters than the empty bar.  A perfect pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord sets off the experience nicely.

The TV is quiet.   The commercial radio is not.

Royal Oak
Cracking Pub and Pint
Sow and Pigs, 26 Hill Top, Backyard Brewery Bitter

The last tick is the most earned.  No easy public transport.  Google suggests calling an Uber.   Mrs M is berating me for catching buses, so I set off for a 1.6 mile walk along Church Lane.

The Sow and Pigs proudly shows its refurb both inside and out, having been taken over by two crafty brewers who I presume have beards.   It's traditional pub that has had full hipster make over.

Sow and Pigs
Non Beards Welcome
Sow and Pigs
Interior Niceness

Its all red velour, bowler hat light fittings and stencils everywhere.  The beer (as has been the theme for tonight) was absolutely perfect but something is wrong.  The locals are not buying into this immaculate boozer at all.  Yes, it's a Tuesday but for 30 minutes from 8:45pm I am the only punter in the place.

And the reason for the lack of patronage is revealed when I make use of the facilities before heading for Black Lake Tram.

Sow and Pigs
The horror of barrel urinals 


2 comments:

  1. My old stamping ground,being a Smethwickian. Need to take the old man there,never give West Brom pubs a thought.You have sold it to me, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Jewellery Quarter has changed a lot too - some cracking Good Beer Guide pubs there.

      Delete