Sunday 4 March 2018

04/03/18 - Straight out of Compton (Wolverhampton)

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk Inspiration - AA 50 Walks in West Midlands, Walk 1


Strange weekend, where the Beast from the East put a stop to the planned ramble on the London Countryway.  I made it to Sandwell and Dudley Station.  A pity no Virgin Trains did.

Suffering from cabin fever, I had to get out.  And for the 2nd weekend in a row, I've miscalculated my real ale walk to finish before the pub has opened.   Never get used to Sunday midday opening hours.

The Mermaid, Wightwick
The Mermaid awaits your finish, should you time it correctly
This is an easy walk, even in the conditions.  I head south on the Staffs/Worcs canal to Mops Farm Bridge.

Staffordshire and Worcs Canal
Slip Sliding down the Canal
Fields are crossed following the Monarch's Way, where the Wolverhampton Tundra reveals itself in all it's glory.

Wolverhampton Tundra
The Wolverhampton Tundra
Not really the day for Geocaching but there is just the one to find on route.  I cannot have a 14 day GeoSlump on my stats, so pleased to get the find just as I join the old South Staffs railway line.

South Staffs Railway Line
South Staffs Railway Line
Urban Art
Spot of Street Art

The canal is picked back up at Compton, which brings us back to the Start.   A completely rural walk, just 2 miles outside of Wolverhampton.

Advertising rubs salt in the 11:30am wounds.

Advertising
Look at what I could have won

No comments:

Post a Comment