Monday 7 August 2017

07/08/17 - The Kentish Town CAMRA Good Beer Guide Ticks

Kentish Town is a hotbed of CAMRA Recommended Boozers, with 5 available for the thirsty explorer.

I've previously ticked off The Southmapton Arms and the Grafton on an Archway to Camden Pub Crawl.

Starting at Tufnell Park Tube makes this a downhill walk.  Turn left out of the station and down Fortress road.

Junction Tavern, Fortress Road, Timothy Taylor Boltmaker

Estate Agents would describe this classic looking pub as "deceptively spacious".

The Junction, Tufnell Park
Up the Junction
A look through the front windows leads one to believe that this is a gastro pub but the labyrinth like interior leads to a back bar, a conservatory and if the weather was nicer, a very pleasant beer garden.

A look at the bar reveals 3 real ales and I see my inspiration in the form of a Timothy Taylor Pump.  I ask for a Landlord but I am wrong.  Its actually its lesser spotted brother,  Boltmaker.

Have I ever stumbled across this outside of Yorkshire?  I think not.

A very decent pint.  I foolishly stop for only one and leave without checking the weather.

The Junction, Tufnell Park
Should have stayed longer
The Pineapple, Leverton Street, Foundation Bitter

The heavens have opened.  Its only a short walk to pub number 2, but long enough to learn the waterproof effectiveness of Liam Gallagher's Pretty Green Jackets.  30 seconds.

I cut a very disheveled figure by the time I make it to the Pineapple, but the Journey was worth it.

This back street pub is a classic.

The Pineapple, Kentish Town
Worth the Walk
This is pretty much a blue print for a how a pub should look.  Entrance gained under a hanging basket  and into a central bar.  Every table is either occupied or reserved, waiting for diners who want to take advantage of the Thai Restaurant.

After ordering a pint of something new, East London Brewing Company Foundation Bitter, I manage to get a seat under one of these bad boys.

The Pineapple, Kentish Town
A matching one on the other side of the bar.
If only there was a roaring fire to dry off in front off.

The beer and atmosphere was spot on.   Well worth seeking out.

The Assembly House, Kentish Town Road, Sambrook's Wandle

Proof that I can make my mind up about which places to visit.  This is a non Good Beer Entry.  Despite this, and the fact it's a Green King, my Sambrooks Wandle stood up well to everything else sampled tonight.

Last week, I stumbled on a 1971 Film with Richard Burton, the Villian.  The film was pretty hopeless, although anything with Burton in it is worth watching.   Even one where he is sleeping with Ian McShane.  And has a dodgy Cockney accent that should be up for a Dick van Dyke award.  

In the film, they plan their blags in a very handsome looking pub.  It took me off a two minutes on google to find out this was the Assembly House.   I thought I would check it out.

The only thing that remains are the high ceiling rooms.
The Assembly House, Kentish Town
Looked better in the Film
Could be an inspiration for future blogs.   Drinking in pubs that are movie locations.  So far I have this and one in Berkshire where Carry On Dick was filmed.

Lion and Unicorn, Gaisford Street, Redemption Big Chief


If I was so inclined, I could mark off Kentish Town in the bible with a highlighter pen to show its completeness.

Last of the night and a bit underwhelming, if the truth is told.

This is a huge pub, half way along a residential street off Kentish Town Road.

Lion and Unicorn, Kentish Town
Night Falls in Kentish Town
It has a theatre upstairs, a very expensive bar and absolutely nothing else of interest.  As soulless as a sparsely populated posh hotel bar.

Lion and Unicorn, Kentish Town
I can smell the hops from my Redemption Big Chief from here

No comments:

Post a Comment