Saturday 29 July 2017

29/07/17 - Ashton Under HKMHILL

Geocaches - 18
First Cache
Walk Distance - 5 Miles

Lets look at the reasons why HKMHill has provided me with more finds than any other cache owner.

His many cache trails always incorporate the following essentials;

A Charming Village

I'm a Worcestershire boy, born and bred.  Bredon is one of my favourite places and the desired resting place for my ashes to be scattered.   Although Mrs M is looking for somewhere more local (and how rude of her to presume I'm going first).

Yet, I've never previously been to this charming little black and white village.

Ask an American to draw what England looks like and they'll probably produce something like this.

Ashton Under Hill
C14th Stone Cross
Ashton Under Hill
Black and White Timber Framed and Thatched

Great Walking

This figure of 8 walk takes in most of the mile length of the village and then climbs the Eastern flanks of Bredon Hill.   I was surprised by the woodland.  I wasn't surprised by the views.

Great paths, all in fine condition.

Ashton Wood
Ashton Wood was a real surprise
Views
The Views were not

Interesting Containers and Always an Ammo Can

Proof indeed that caches can be made out of absolutely anything.  The trademark army pouches were expected.  Banana guards suspended under a bridge were not.

I'm coming up to 7,000 finds and never before has Mrs M demanded a sniff of one.  Much chuntering about needing cake for the rest of the walk.

The Smell of Vanilla
Caching Assistant distracted by Vanilla
Wait A Mo
King of the Cache Containers

A Pub

The Star Inn is a classic country boozer that markets its services on several footpath markers on this walk.  Proud of their food and their beer, you will find evidence of their marketing all along this walk - with adverts placed on various footpath signs.

Black Sheep is not too often found in Worcestershire.

I was delighted.

The Star Inn
Need a place to start the Round?  It will cost you a round.
The Star Inn
Classic Country Pub
Black Sheep
Black Sheep - One of My Favourites

Once again, thanks Mike. I'll eagerly keep my eyes open for future cache notifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment