Tuesday 18 July 2017

18/07/17 - CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs of Reading - Part 1

The Number 6 Emerald Bus whisks me away from the Holiday Inn South into the Town Centre.

I'm on a mission to see how many of the 8 CAMRA Good Beer Guide entries in Reading I can tick off.  Its not going to be all of them as a) its a school night and b) I will be back in the area soon and can save some for other adventures.

I'm not a regular bus user.  You can tell by the way I have Google Maps running on the phone so that I know roughly when to ring the bell to get off.  Catch a glimpse of Hop Leaf (1 of the 8) and note its location for the next visit.  I'm going to tackle the West first, and alight at the nearest bus stop to Castle Street.

Castle Street Tap, Castle Street, Bad Seed Brewery Old Skool



Castle Tap, Reading
The Collapsed Sign behind the pedestrian tells you all you need to know
There's a certain frisson to entering a new pub for the first time.  What beholds the thirsty traveler as they push through the door and enter the premises?  Will dart players pause mid arrow?  Will you be advised to stay away from the Oracle?

Nothing much happens.   The single front room looks like this at 7:30pm on a Tuesday.

Castle Tap, Reading
At least there is a Dart Board
The bar is similarly deserted.  At least this gives me time to make my selection and I do see a Bad Seed beer, a brewery that I have been following on Twitter, simply as they must be Nick Cave fans.

When it becomes clear that I have made my mind up - the only "punter" in the place leaves his laptop and headphones next to the bar to come and serve me.   The only communication between us "Old Skool Please", "£3.90".

I was expecting at least a "Fine Choice, Sir".

Not much to explore in the main bar, so out around the back for the giant TV screen in a back room and a collection of drinkers sat in the courtyard.

The beer didn't disappoint.

The Nag's Head, Russell Street, West Berkshire Brewery Good Old Boy

It must be a problem having another, well established Real Ale Bar, just around the corner.  Maybe this explains the lack of Tap customers and the fact that this place fills up nicely in the evening.   Or maybe its because the staff and other patrons interact with strangers (and when I say interact, I mean pinch their paper when they go to the loo).

The Nag's Head has near legendary status.   Their glassware announce there is a beer festival 365 days a year.

The Nag's Head, Reading
Down a side road, just out of Town
The Nag's Head, Reading
Plenty of Choice at the Daily Beer Festival
There's 12 real ales on but the staff are happy to help you decide, offering advice and tasters.

Tonight it was West Berkshire Brewery (when in Rome) Good Old Boy.   My sort of pint, a dark classic bitter.

Enjoyed with the Sudoku (at least whilst my bladder held out), admiring the surroundings.  The CAMRA awards, the Good Beer Guides going back over the years kept out of reach above the bar and the light fitting made of Malt Whisky tubes.  An inspiration for my next lounge makeover.

The Nag's Head, Reading
Awards Aplenty
Just as I am thinking of moving onto the next place, something meteorological happens outside.  The first of the summer thunder storms.

There's worse places to be trapped for 90 minutes.   The other 6 will have to wait.

And I'll have to make do with a Pork Scratching/Crisp combo for my tea.

The Nag's Head, Reading
Rain stops Ticking

No comments:

Post a Comment