Saturday 1 July 2017

01/07/17 - Two CAMRA Good Beer Guide Pubs in Euston

The Dollis Valley Greenway walk has been completed and there are a couple of hours before I can catch my pre-booked train home.

There's only one thing to do - get a couple of Good Beer Guide Ticks in the vicinity of transport departure location.

One is required sooner, rather than later.   Worrying news found on Twitter shows it won't be there for much longer.  The other is a real surprise entry - one that I have walked past many times and completely ignored.  If its in the Bible, it needs to be checked out.

The Bree Louise, Coburg Street, Eton and Windsor Brewery Knight of the Garter

Seems a little pointless in writing the address.  Come November 2017, it won't be here.

As if there weren't enough reasons to hate HS2, I find out midweek that it will be responsible for the destruction of one of the most iconic real ale pubs in London.

I've been many times and this is a trip for a tick, whilst I have the chance.

Bree Louise, Euston
For Old Times Sake
I'm not going to get all gushing over it.   This used to be my regular post work, pre train journey watering hole before I found the Doric Arch - a pub that doesn't look much but has very consistent beer quality.  It would have got a blog tick today, but for the fact that its very nearly my "local".

The Bree Louise is famous for its choice.  Almost bewildering, as they tend to stock less well known wares and if there are half a dozen on pumps, there's double that amount available from gravity fed barrels behind the bar.

Today's choice, after a look on internal and external blackboards, was an Eton and Windsor Knight of the Garter.  From a pump.  Gravity fed just doesn't do it for me.

At first, I felt fortunate to get an outside seat to enjoy it in the sunshine.  Then I remembered the amount of times you get hassled for "spare cash", once you stop moving in this area.

Pint finished, and a last nostalgic look of the interior.

Bree Louise, Euston
Its all over now.  Nearly.
The Royal George, Eversholt Street, Sambrooks Junction

Now then.  The good book has done it again to me.  I've seen this pub hundreds of times and it had nothing to convince me to choose it over the other places in the area.

Royal George, Euston
I liked the Eagle
Just how did a Greene King, catering for a very transient set of punters and with incredibly loud music ever get into the Guide?  After battling my way through a large group of alcopop drinking ladies at the bar and seeing the usual Greene King standards - I was even more confused.

But then to the right, I noticed two more unusual brews and opted for the local Sambrook's Junction.

A whole 5p change from a lady.

Again, I tried to sit outside.   The begging was even worse than at Bree, but at least there were some recognisable faces.

Forced to take it back inside and listen to the highly credible Dandy Warhols turn into 2 Unlimited at a volume that was too much for 4pm on a Saturday.

Tick earned but for the life of me, I don't know why.   Apart from the pint being in excellent condition.

Oh the conundrums of setting the criteria for entry in a pub guide.

2 comments:

  1. Ah well, there you go - it's the Good Beer Guide, not the Good Pub Guide... And to be honest, I (and many others) can't understand how the Bree Louise gets in as the beer has often been not "Good" (as in many London pubs, sadly...). If it's better now then good - shame it's too late! Still, it is a shame the building has to go for HS2, although on balance it's probably a good thing overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to remind myself of the Good Beer vs. Good Pub argument - which is why I find myself trying to talk Mrs M into going into Wetherspoons with me - which she just cannot understand!

      Delete